Are ALL CISS refill inks the same for ALL printers?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Are ALL CISS refill inks the same for ALL printers?

I have a Canon MP830 with a CISS
The blank ink is running out - time to refill

I have some CISS systems for older Epson printers - not sure where to sell these!
I thought: hold on... can I just use the ink in these for my Canon!!?

I've searched and looked around and ALL CISS inks seem to be compatible for ALL printers

Before I try, I thought I'd ask in here

Is there any problems of using Epson CISS ink for my Canon printer?

Thanks

OM

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
If you want to kill your printer slowly: put the ink in....

I would never put Epson ink into Canon printers, because the printing methods are different: Epson is vibrating the ink and Canon is boiling and evaporating the ink.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ok... two questions... Answer these and you will quickly understand the answer to your own question.

Epson has lots of different printers and if you look carefully you find they use different ink brand names too... eg: durabrite, claria, etc... If they are using different brand names for the inks do you think all Epson printers are really using the same inks?

Canon, HP, Brother, all have different printer with different cartridges, and different ink brand names as well... Do you still think they are all using the same inks?

I'll give you a big clue... the answer begins with an 'N' and ends in an 'O'... ;)

Seriously though... the only people who want you to believe that there are "universal" inks are the people selling the "universal" ink because (yep, you guessed it) they can sell it to EVERYONE and make more money, instead of selling specific inks for specific printers which requires more stock storage space, different packing, etc... QED: Who benefits?....

... Hint: It isn't you...

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have 3 different makes of CISS on three different Epson printers, 1290, 915 and DX7000f. I use the same non-Epson dye inks, bought in large 500ml bottles, in the 1290 and 915, without any problems. The DX7000f should theoretically use the dye/pigment mix inks, which Epson call Durabrite. However, I have refilled it with a Durabrite-copy ink and, twice by mistake, with plain non-Epson dye ink, and it continued to work just fine. The only, occasional, problem I had with the 915 and the DX700f, was that one or other of the jets seemed to block occasionally. I had thought it was the non-Epson inks causing it, but now seem to have fixed the problem by turning the printers off and leaving overnight about once a week. I had been leaving them on continuously and I believe that the jets dried out. I think that, when switched off, the jets are capped to stop drying out. Don't switch off too often though, as each time the printer starts up it goes through an ink-wasting cleaning routine.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
tmierzwa said:
All Canon printers use dye based ink.
Nope... the large black cartridges in the Pixma range are pigment... Most are dye-based but not all...