Archival Prints

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Get a read of ISO 12757-2.
Take a look at forum member @apetitphoto 's link above. In it, the author's conclusion:
"The DIN ISO 12757-2 standard is complete hype. It fades so badly that it's barely different than a regular Bic."
This comment is shared by others I have read from a Google search.

I have read there are gel pens having archival qualities that stand up to sunlight, but that these roller ball pens are not as adept for artists as ball point pens.

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Ok, thanks hadn't remembered all the details of that post. It would still be interesting to know the text of section 4.6 of that standard so we would know whether the standard sucks (aka: low bar on light resistance) or whether just the products suck. I'd have a hard time betting what it is.

If the standard is ok and the products suck, you'd have a nice opening line if you wanted to visit ISO In Geneva "Where should i go to to report a standards violation, my ballpoint pen here..." ;-)

Or maybe go to a keeper at the National Archives in D.C. and ask. "Hey, just in case i get to sign my own declaration of independence... what ballpoint pen would you recommend ? That iron gall ink on yours didn't do a good job, now did it ?" ;-)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
"Where should i go to to report a standards violation, my ballpoint pen here..."
:D

Or maybe go to a keeper at the National Archives in D.C. and ask "... what ballpoint pen would you recommend ?
Excellent thought to ask the experts instead of relying on internet opinion. I didn't think of this. Give them a call and let us know.

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
India ink is truly archival.
That is true but I don't think it's suitable for fountain pens as when the ink dries, it completely clogs the pen.

From another forum on fountain pens: "If you are looking at decades rather than centuries, then any of the Noodler's Eternal or Bulletproof inks should suffice."

I've seen very bad fading on regular blue ink for fountain pens, even without any exposure to light, like in daily journals..

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. The Uniball 207 and 307 are supposed to be resistant to check washing but I wonder how archival they actually are.

Scrapbooking pigment pens/artist fineline markers like the Pigma Micron line might be better for long term!