Anything really wrong with Canon Pro 9000 MkII?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
'cause they're going real cheap now. Really cheap. Is there any major problem with them for occasional use?

Do they come with real ink cartridges, or funny little half-empty sponges?

And if the occasion arises, what is required to use the U.S. version for printing CD's? I see one can buy the try for about $40. Anything else required?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
'cause they're going real cheap now. Really cheap. Is there any major problem with them for occasional use?

Do they come with real ink cartridges, or funny little half-empty sponges?

And if the occasion arises, what is required to use the U.S. version for printing CD's? I see one can buy the try for about $40. Anything else required?
Maybe on your side of the pond they are but not on this side therere still going for $500 +.

Its probability one of the best printer for refilling at present with its CLI-8 cartridges and outstanding print quality
so yes it would be great for the occasional use, if we could get them for $40. :hit

Converting one over to CD printing is fairly easy to do and you can pick up a tray for it on EBay.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Strange that the Pro9000 comes with the CD printing tray down here & its reduced price is $700, what a bargain.
Canon have new printers out now, the Pro 10 ($999) & the Pro 100 ($799) so the old Pro 9xxx will start becoming collector items:)
The Pro 9000 comes with full size carts & probably they cost more to buy than you will pay for the printer in the States.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I mean the tray is $40. It's kind of black market, I guess, on e-bay or somewhere. The printer itself is big bucks -- $138 new. The eight cartridges cost somewhat less than the printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
ThrillaMozilla wrote:

You may need a program named "CD-enabler". You find more info about CD-conversion here: http://pixma.ulmb.com/

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, Peter.

On second thought, the printer is cheaper than I was letting on. I think the ink is $85. That means the printer is $53. That's considerably more that $40. :D

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Canon has been including this printer when you purchase a DSLR camera and there are many of them on Craigs List in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are listed as NIB - new in the box - and the asking price varies from $350 (good luck!) to about $100. I waited until someone asked $100 and bought one. I'm just in the process of setting it up and trying to decide what to do with the perfectly good printer that is still on my desk. The ink carts are worth $100 or a bit more. I've even thought to buy a spare - primarily for the spare printhead (worth more than $100) and another set of ink carts to refill for backups.

jbn01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The main reason they are inexpensive is that Canon offered them as a premium to camera buyers and many buyers had no need for a large printer. You'll note that the USPC label are taken from most offered on ebay to get the refund.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
New one here in the UK was 352.64 with VAT which includes the inks. I was watching a lightly used (alleged) one on E-bay for 140 but got compatible ink. Another S/H with printing problems (sounded solvable) was up to about 29 last look. again compatible inks with a full set of spares. But if you have to source a set of carts and new Ink the cost is going to mount up. I was just concerned that CLi-8 is surely old technology now. Will not the newer models produce much superior results?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
A great looking print is a great looking print & the pro9000 & pro9500 do great looking prints. The newer printers prints will look just the same as the older printers prints to the naked eye but may have a very slight improvement if looked at through a lupe plus they will print faster. It's much the same as newer cameras the images look just the same as older cameras to the naked eye & to the size we print at. No one can tell the difference between a shot from a full frame camera & a shot from an 1.6 crop camera unless they blow it up to 100%.