Anyone test driven the 1430 yet?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm still conflicted on whether to buy a refurbished 1400 or a new 1430. I took a look at the 1430 and strangely to me it looks a lot more like the Workforce 1100 than a Stylus Photo series printer. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. My reset chips should be compatible with the newer one since I just bought them. It uses the same ink, but I keep seeing "new print engine". Does that mean it makes higher quality prints? Are there feed issues? CD printing issues? I have zero interest in wi-fi, I'd rip the antenna out if I could (so many bad experiences with wireless printers). Amazon reviews are mixed/positive, several mentioning that it was dead out of the box, which could simply be the shipper's fault.

I should probably have just bought an R2000 at this point.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
My gut says go with the refurb 1400 or an R2000...

The 1400 is more established, known and has a range of chips, inks, CISS, etc..

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Isn't the 1430 essentially the same printer as the 1400 with the addition of wireless connectivity? Still uses dye Claria ink? Outoftheinkwell?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes. However, it looks majorly different than the 1400. It's not as ridiculous a redesign as the 7010 (reports are coming in that the bottom feed is a very bad thing) but it's definitely changed. Also "new print engine" (better prints?). I haven't tried the 1400 for CD printing but I remember the R200-R340 generations were terrible at actually loading the CD, would have to try several loads before the sensors "aligned the tray" properly without rejecting it.

hwater1244

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a epson 1400 and 1430 and see no difference. They both use same ink tanks so what works on 1400 will work on 1430. Can not see any difference in printing by naked eye. One thing if you purchase a new printer and goes bad Epson will send you a refurbished one. The way I look at it if goes bad in a year time just get a refurbished one by you warranty. After one year probably better to purchase a new one as if heads get blocked you are going to spend a fortune to get printer Ok Maybee ?? If using head cleaner solution still is going to cost a lot. I have been working on blocked heads on 1400 and got to only light magenta to correct. Have got all kinds of error messages and even got end of life message. Printer is only 1 year and 3 mo old. Corrected that but still need to correct light magenta color. Epson does not want you to fix printer they want you to purchase a new one.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
My 1400 is still printing very well indeed after close to 3 years mostly on CIS systems.
It shut me down once with the "printer has come to the end of it's useful life" notice which I ignored. I had to buy OEM refills from Inkjetcarts and ran a set of them then switched back to a cis system and all is ok. Well, except now the ink level picture is always blank but I just check the levels of the ink with a flashlight which is no problem with the clear dampers. I'm careful NOT to download anything "Helpful" from Epson ( Like new firmware). As I always say, I love the Epson printers but not the counter policies. I've had people say, "Oh they are just watching out for you" and I think! ( Bunk!). Outoftheinkwell!

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Warranty doesn't matter too much to me since I doubt they'd take it back with holes drilled for the waste tank and the printhead cover snapped off because I still haven't figured out how to do it without breaking it. :rolleyes:

Hoping more 1400s come back into the Epson refurbished center 'cuz it's $179 flat vs $300 up front - $80 mail in rebate.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and bought a refurb 1400. I saw a post on another forum where the owner thought the 1430 used more ink than the 1400 did.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the printhead carriage cover off without breaking it just in case I need to exchange it? :rolleyes: