Anyone ever calculated the true costs of printer ownership?

jezeuspr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,

We take a different approach towards advertising printers and printer ink cartridges of brands like Brother, Canon, HP & more. Calculating the true costs of printer ownership over lifespan will give you some interesting information. Printer.com puts buying a printer and ink cartridges in a different perspective.

We want to know what you think of this approach, is it informative? yes? no? If you have some time to share your opinion please help us better serve our customers.

Thank you

Eric R
Printer .com - Calculate the Cost of Printer Ownership

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Informative if you purchase own brand cartridges. However, it does highlight why everyone should get into ink refilling. Example my cost of refilling a Canon cartridge with quality ink (Hobbicolors) = 50p against cost of buying Canon OEM cartridge = 9.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
wilko said:
Informative if you purchase own brand cartridges. However, it does highlight why everyone should get into ink refilling. Example my cost of refilling a Canon cartridge with quality ink (Hobbicolors) = 50p against cost of buying Canon OEM cartridge = 9.
How often to you buy OEM cartridges?

I crunched the numbers on my mp830, taking into account a replacement head after the 15th refill, and a set of 3 OEM cartridges for refilling. Even taking into account I bought a spare printer @ $150, and the inital printer was like $220, the end result was like 75% less than OEM.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
can I chime in? I haven't ever bought an OEM Canon cartridge. I've refilled the ones that came with the printers and managed to get a good number of used empty OEM carts at Staples where people toss them into the bin with the Epson and HP carts that Staples gives them credit for. They were very happy to let me take the Canon carts which have no value to them. I've purged them and refilled them many times. After several refills, when they don't feed as freely I purge them again and start over. My cost is just the cost of refill ink - about $1 US per refill plus a few minutes of my time.