Anybody try these third party Chips ?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hmm, cheap?

2.39 + shipping = $27.39 to EU well, even if they are autoreset it's better to buy OEM cartridge and have a sponge too for same price.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm guessing these are auto-reset chips but from reading the description I think the way they work is to register as empty when the cartridge is physically empty and then reset when you remove to refill.

I doubt they're any use in a CIS..

That's sheer guesswork but based on the blurb and a bit of educated dis-experience that's what I'd expect.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't know these chips. I do know how the Canon acts though.

Canon will meter the ink, until the ink level reaches the prism, then the 10% countdown starts.

You can circumvent this and add ink before you reach the sponge, but eventually when the print value gets too high it'll presume the cartridge is empty.

So, what I "imagine" these chips do is register as full, until the ink gets down to the prism level.

The prisms still function on the Canons, they just add wacky meters.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
IGExpandingPanda said:
I don't know these chips. I do know how the Canon acts though.

Canon will meter the ink, until the ink level reaches the prism, then the 10% countdown starts.

You can circumvent this and add ink before you reach the sponge, but eventually when the print value gets too high it'll presume the cartridge is empty.

So, what I "imagine" these chips do is register as full, until the ink gets down to the prism level.

The prisms still function on the Canons, they just add wacky meters.
The old canons were so nice. Just fill it up and it would show full again.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The theory about the prism still working is backed by the fact that the latest HP 364 cartridges -who looks very similar to the CLI-8 cartridges- are not only chipped but are also featured with a prism underneath the ink compartment. So it must have a function for the printer.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
The theory about the prism still working is backed by the fact that the latest HP 364 cartridges -who looks very similar to the CLI-8 cartridges- are not only chipped but are also featured with a prism underneath the ink compartment. So it must have a function for the printer.
In my opinion the true test of whether the prism is properly working and contributing to ink level warnings , would be if all the ink was removed (by syringe) , from a full reservoir (CLI8) , and the machine immediately , (or almost immediately) , flags up that the cart is empty or nearly empty .

This of course is also dependent , (I think) , on the Ink Level Monitor still being installed and not overriden, I really must test this sometime.......

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
LOL.. I heard about the new HP printers... from what I've been told they're basically Canon printers badged for HP...

Monopolistic activity anyone?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
LOL.. I heard about the new HP printers... from what I've been told they're basically Canon printers badged for HP...

Monopolistic activity anyone?
Please advise on the likely original Canon models they are based around, do you think there will be any advantage of interchangeability cart or printheadwise , in use in existing Canon machines ?...........because if there is, they are bound to be less expensive......?????

(carries on dreaming....................)