Any updates on bicycle tube bands as substitute for outlet port cap?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Funny , I just tried this today with a 1.50-1.75 tube on a cli-221 cart, but I found this size just a bit to large. it does fit the larger pg 220 cart nicely, but is a bit hard to put on. I may pick up a smaller size for the 221s but I really like the orange clips from Precision Colors, allthough they are a bit more expensive. I think I will just buy a couple of sets of clips at a time as I re-order so I dont have a larger outlay just for clips.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Another easy substitute is saran wrap. You can wrap it tightly around the outlet and it'll seal the top and bottom completely, I've done this previously with my Canon cartridges and they've kept for months.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I tried the tube bands several time, but it didn't work as well as I was hoping.

As described, I found the band covered up the vent hole above the foam/sponge side. I also still got at least a few drops leaking from the outlet port.

I tweaked the method by cutting the band on a diagonal do it was smaller at the top and didn't cover the vent-hole. Still a few drops of ink leaking from the outlet port.

I thought of trying a smaller, tighter tube, but was concerned about the effort getting it on and off. For one thing, during removal you are squeezing the cart, which seems to "burp" it and result in ... wait for it ... leaks from the outlet port.

My hopes for the bicycle tube bands would be it cheaply resolved the few drops of ink leaking from the outlet port which seems inherent with traditional top-filling.

It does seem a lot cheaper than the alternatives of buying substitutes for the original orange outlet cap. I really don't think they are intended to be re-used, as you need a rubber band to hold them on.

I currently have an adequate supply of RJetTek #1916 outlet port caps. They aren't really satisfactory, but I have them and they aren't expensive. You often don't get leaks, but there is usually residual drops of ink in the cap which should be cleaned out .. which can be ... wait for it ... a mess.

The other alternative of more specialized outlet port caps is semi-attractive. Somehow or other, I ended up with several of them. They do seem to work better than the RJetTek #1916 caps, but not consistently well. And I can't get unenthusiastic about a simple product that costs as much or more than the virgin empty carts.

But maybe I gave up too soon on the cut-up bicycle tube bands ... assistance appreciated.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
Another easy substitute is saran wrap. You can wrap it tightly around the outlet and it'll seal the top and bottom completely, I've done this previously with my Canon cartridges and they've kept for months.
Check out "Glad Press'n Seal". If it is still on the market. I have a box of this material. It was sold as an improvement over Saran Wrap as it adheres to the top of a container as if it has some adhesive on the surface, but it leaves no residue. I've used it on BCI-3ebk carts when I didn't have the outlet cap. I wrapped it all the way around the cart and pressed it onto the outlet against a notepad to seal the edges. The ads for it showed a refrigerator carton with liquid turned upside down when sealed with this film.

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I still find the bicycle inner tube method works very well for me, using the German refill method. I do not put the tube on untill the ink tank has been filled and left standing with the outlet facing down for a few minutes so the sponge can absorb whatever ink it will to bring the system into equalibrium. I have found that the inner tube bands DO NOT make a 100% seal at the top vent (although they appear too). If a complete vent seal is desireable, and many think it is not, a small strip of plastic electrical tape could be used prior to putting the bicycle tube band on.

I have never found it hard to install these bands. I start by placing them on the outlet port first. Holding my thumb tightly against the tube at the outlet port, I stretch the tube up over the top. See posting #38 from the link in posting #1 above. I never press on the sides of the ink tank, only the rigid top and bottom, so as not to cause a leak.

I think the "Glad Press'n Seal" proposed by fofofreek also looks interesting, and would also work with any of the several Canon ink tanks.