Any experience with recently changed SamsClub RoyalBrites photo paper?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I have a Sam's Club membership and previously tried their RoyalBrites house brand inkjet photo paper. In searching through previous forum threads, I've rarely if ever noticed any mention of this paper. Perhaps I didn't search hard enough?

Any opinions of recently purchased RoyalBrites photo paper? My impression is that it may be changed from earlier, as the 8.5" x 11" packaging is different.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
bump ...

This newbie's experience back when I first started printing last summer (2010) was that the Sam's Club RoyalBrites 4"x6" photo paper was terrible, and their 8.5" x 11" was not as bad, but still poor. I returned both, and was close to giving up on printing altogether. I recall being very frustrated and discouraged, especially when the first two Canon Pro 9000-2 cartridges were empty much sooner than I expected.

Perhaps typical for many printing newbies, the results I was getting were no better or inferior to what I could get from commercial printing (Sams and drug store specials), and the price wasn't that much less for 8x10's (based on using OEM ink and relatively expensive HP paper). Why bother?

Fortunately, I was able to get several boxes of Costco Kirkland 8.5" x 11" that was left over from a church event. I've found the Kirkland paper to work well with OCP non-oem ink, especially where I am on the bottom of the print learning curve and "getting up to speed". Whew ... hope springs eternal.

I decided to try again on the Sam's Club RoyalBrites 8.5 x 11". The packaging had changed, and I hoped the quality was better than it had been in the past.

In this newbie's opionion of a Kodak-like test print, the revised RoyalBrites 8.5 x 11" is somewhat better than it used to be, but still inferior to Costco Kirkland paper. However, it is very possible an Inkjet Master/Guru would be able to get much better results than I have gotten. I would appreciate learning the opinions of other forum members about this paper.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Kirkland paper sold at Costco seems to be the current cost to performance choice from the big box stores. Sam's Club was the choice when they sold Ilford paper. Don't know if they still do. A printer profile (ICC Profile) can go a long way in maximizing performance of a paper with a given inkset for a specific printer. But if the paper type is wrong for the ink type, then no profile will be able to compensate enough for the more discriminating hobbyist. (example - paper designed for pigment inks is problematic when used for dye-based inks such as yours)

While you wait for an answer to your question on a specific paper, you might want to read through the forum, beginning with the sections "Printing Photos and Photo Software" and "Paper & Other Media". Pay attention to posts on color management, printer/monitor profiling, and explanations/examples of paper types to begin with. There is a lot of information there already for you that will answer many questions, and, no doubt, trigger many more. You seem to be combing over past posts, so bravo on your initiative!

Using the Search function, there is one post on the forum about "Royal Brites" paper, but appears is of little to no use for your question(s). You'll have to wait until someone can answer your post, if it occurs at all.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have tried Sams Club "Royal Brite" paper. One print and that was enough for me. Back to Sams it went. I now use Kirkland paper from Costco or Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, or Kodak Ultra Premium High Gloss with outstanding results.

ink_junkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think almost no matter the product, Costco wins out against Sams.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
After Great White ceased, I picked up a box of Royal Brites heavy matte. Couldn't be happier. The paper itself is quite white, obviously has brighteners. The colors are usually a bit off but only compared to something "perfect." No doubt could be adjusted out, but good enough.

A multi-ink B&W however, is quite ruddy, although that fades if left around. The paper is definitely of a "high definition" coating.

For me, it's a "go to" paper to make prints for friends and such. YMMV.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
After Great White ceased, I picked up a box of Royal Brites heavy matte. Couldn't be happier. The paper itself is quite white, obviously has brighteners. The colors are usually a bit off but only compared to something "perfect." No doubt could be adjusted out, but good enough.

A multi-ink B&W however, is quite ruddy, although that fades if left around. The paper is definitely of a "high definition" coating.

For me, it's a "go to" paper to make prints for friends and such. YMMV.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How the heck did Paul Verizzo's post double-up approximately 1 hour later?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman How the heck did Paul Verizzo's post double-up approximately 1 hour later?
Aha I think your starting to see double now.
What ya being drinking boyo...
:D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I better have some of the hair of the dog that bit me because I still see it. If I start to see pink elephants floating in the room then call for the guys with in the white suits and butterfly nets.