Any difference in how Epson sets up their more expensive printer line?

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've been through the counter shut down gimmick, the (This printer has come to the end of it's useful life) notice where a perfectly good and working printer is suddenly converted into a paper weight.
That seems to be the norm for the average home printers Epson,(and others sell) but I'd like to know if they do the same thing with their more expensive Pro line of printers as well?
If I buy say, a Epson 3880 or above professional printer will I still see this type of notice? And if I do, does Epson make it any easier to get that expensive printer back online again?
Before I spend over a thousand dollars or more on any printer I'd really like to know what the Epson policy is on their top of the line machines! I have a friend that owns 2 stores that sell art supplies and he also has an Epson printer that prints large pictures on canvas that are beautiful and he sells those all the time. I forget the model number but that thing is huge, sits on it's own support legs and he paid over $4000.00 for it. Am I to assume he will be printing away and one day see a notice that states, ( This printer has reached the end of it's useful life?) Each cartridge costs him over $200.00 Per unit I think. He complains about the costs for ink but would never consider using third party inks. I have no idea where all the excess ink goes in a machine like that but I imagine there is some sort of limit to the number of prints he can produce, but then what happens?
Any one in the forum have any information of this question? Outoftheinkwell!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's not a gimmick it is a necessity due to cost restrictions and packaging / minimization of printer footprint on the desktop. If you understand how a piezo printhead works, the cleaning priming routines are necessary, the newer printers are improved in this area compared to prior generations but the same challenges still exist. Waste ink has to go somewhere as websnail put it, it does not just walk away into the sky but must be captured and the space to do so on the desktop is not high. If you were using OEM ink, it likely would take years for the waste ink tank to come up with a message....or you'd have paid possibly thousands of dollars into OEM inks in which case, a new purchase would not be a significant expense.

The Pro line all have something callled a maintenance tank or "waste ink tank" designed into the printer and is fully user accessible and is easily meant to be changed out by even the non technical user. These items generally have chips that maintain a similar count of ink ejected into the unit. The usual routine applies here as well, replace or reuse after cleaning and chip reset. If you can afford OEM ink the cost of the new maintenance tank with a new chip is not unreasonably high.

On various models like the artisan line, Epson has designed the waste ink pad to be easily accessible and can be replaced without mods in a few minutes. This then allows their service techs to perform a replacement in very little time. I don't know if this translates into lower service charges or not. On some models and even inexpensive ones, the waste ink tubes are very accessible so converting to an external waste ink tank is not a major undertaking.

If you're really frugal then you'd choose to use an older printer that the free SSC utility to reset the waste ink counter supports and connect a waste ink tank to it. Problem solved completey with no need for a reset program and fees etc. The Epson R200 line is a classic workhorse when a CISS and an external waste ink tank is attached. If you want high quality prints and pigments and want to use the SCC utility, the R2400 is the machine of choice but in this generation of machine, the air migration issue in the printhead causes the user to waste more ink if the printer is not used often. Variants of the R200 include the R220, R300, R320,R340,RX500 and RX620.. the last one I am not sure due to memory failure. These all cost next to nothing when found in thrift stores or can be acquired second or third hand for a paltry sum due to their vintage.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed information on how the Epson's work and why. It's one of the reasons I like to come in here and I truly appreciate the input!
I am familiar with the waste ink bottles and have one on our Epson 1400. It took 15 minutes to install and I used velcro to attach it to the right side of the printer.
I do understand why Epson does what it does as far as the counter/shutdown set up. 'Gimmick' was a tad harsh I guess and apologies to Epson. I confess I do have a problem with a company selling me a machine be it a printer or car or whatever it may be and then building in a shut down mechanism saying it's for my own good, or because the unit could leak ink or anything like that. I picture buying a new car and after say, 100,000 miles shut the car down so I can't use it. They do let you know when service is suggested and I would love it if they would do that with printers as well! If I want to take a chance with overfilling a waste ink tank I really think that should be my right, but that's just my thinking I guess. Be that as it may, it is what it is so my only goal is to find the easiest way to work around the controls and keep printing. So far I've been successful in doing that in no small part because of the excellent advice and tutoring of people like you and the others that are members. And I really do enjoy the great savings i get using CIS systems! Happy Printing and thanks again for your input! Regards, Outoftheinkwell!