Another Upgrade to my CR-10...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My next upgrade to the CR-10 will be to add in another lead screw on the right side of the printer to assist and improve the Z axis, after I’ve upgraded the heated platform, I’ll be using Creality parts for the upgrade, they are slightly dearer but you do get all the correct wiring and parts needed.
cr-10.PNG

There is also an upgrade to detect missing filament and power outages but for that you need to change your motherboard to accommodate the extra sensors, I don’t reckon there worth all the extra hassle and cost...
New Lead screw.PNG click to enlarge..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It looks like the vase in the second image has a color gradient from more yellowish to more reddish orange. very attractive. How is that done?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
How is that done?
I haven’t got the foggiest idea, but on looking on it further, it’s like a possible reflection from the platform below ?, and if I’m wrong then I’ll have to forgo the cigar this time... :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Seems there are temperature dependent color changing filaments: https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/color-changing-pla-filaments

Scroll down in the comments for links to the filaments.

Note the Yellow-Orange filament in this link. Looks like the colors used in the vase in your image: https://www.amazon.com/GO-3D-PRINT-Temperature-Changing-Filament/dp/B01LYGCZ7D

You may be on to something about the platform. If the temperature gradient varies between platform, which may be heated, and the ambient temperature of the room, then maybe the yellow color shift is due to warmer temps of the platform?

Seems there are multi-headed extruders to hook up several filaments at once in one printer. These machines tend to be expensive, so somebody designed a less expensive gizmo that feeds different color filaments based on your programming: https://gizmodo.com/this-box-turns-any-3-d-printer-into-a-multi-color-mult-1699332022

Poor man's multi-color printing instructions using a single extruder: https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-print-in-multi-color-with-a-single-extruder

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have already used two colours in one of my projects, and there’s no reason to stop just with two... ;)

legs-jpg.5884

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
It won't be long before you will need a 3D Colormunki to colour profile your filaments and extruder. :)

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
@The Hat, which of your upgrades are in response to actual problems you are having vs. preemptive in case there could be a problem down the road?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Nifty, It’s all pre-emptive on my part, I reckon the platform could do with a bit more stability, and the Z axis may also get problems later from constant use, I reckon there’s no point in waiting till you have a serious problem to fix it, besides the Z axis will be much smoother with the duel motors fitted..

As I’m not going to be printing for some time with it, I’m thinking what else can I do to the beast, it’s such a pity to just leave it sitting there, its much harder to have patience in 3D.... :eek:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Adding the second lead screw is probably a good idea, Creality have done it in the new CR10S I believe.