Another Pro1 needing Printhead clean

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100s, Pixma Pro1
I like so many others have a Pro1. That being said have no issues with it. However, I am in process of obtaining another which I understand from the seller has an issue with the printhead.
I would greatly appreciate instructions on how to remove it. I presume it has a head blockage.
I have previously changed the printhead on my Pro100 and Pro9000 (easy jobs) so have some skill.
Greatly appreciate all the posts and help given by others to keep our Hobby/work alive.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Sorry for this answer beside the question, but unless you need two operational PRO-1's, why would you buy a second item of a printer with difficult to change (and obtain) printheads ?
I went this way a long time with the PRO-9500(II) - where the change is a snap as with most other Canon printers - but switched to the PRO-10 after 9500 printheads were out of stock.

A printer you know well for a low price can be tempting (and in hindsight I printed low cost), but these are no vintage cars.

I should have switched earlier for the better print quality with the same running costs.

Don't know if all arguments are valid in your case (PRO-1000 vs PRO-1).

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Palombian thanks for your input, part of the main reason for buying a second Pro1 at a very low price, is that the seller is also including 5 sets of replaceable cartridge chips for each colour (60 chips) which would cost in UK £4 each plus a refilling kit (which I already possess) and a full set of near full bottles of inks, same ink as I already use. It is the chips and inks that are my main reason for purchasing, if I can sort out the fault of the printer, then great - I am assuming its a printhead issue which is the reason for my enquiry. Hopefully its will clear with the standard printhead cleaning procedure.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@TomAllaway, I am reluctant to get into this decision because @palombian is right, taking on another Pro 1 even if it could print perfectly would be a nightmare, keeping one of these beasts contented is difficult enough but two… All you ink savings will be gone in no time just like your hair..

Print head removal is unadvisable on this printer because nothing can be gained from it, if you can’t get a clear nozzle print using the normal maintenance procedures then the head is lost, and a new head is very expensive and difficult to obtain.

If after all this advice falls on deaf ears then I can provide you with the head removal procedure at your own risk..
:)

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi The Hat, thanks for your response, I do note your comments. I am not particularly interested in the printer itself, just the cartridges already fitted, the single use (new chips) and the bottles of ink. The price I am paying for the printer;inks and chips is less than the value of the chips alone so with the addition of the inks the purchase is a steal.
I am only interested in the printhead removal as an academic exercise if the normal printhead cleaning procedure does not work. I would probably dispose of the printer body if cleaning does not work.
Regards

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
That seems a good deal then.
I once bought a second PRO-9500 II plus a brand new printhead for € 40.
Printed 6 years with the heads.