Another New 3D Project..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had seen a STL of a small Easter Island statue on one of the free sites and my other half said it would look good in the garden to keep Buddha company, but only if I could make it big enough, so I decided to have a go and see what size I could print it out at.

I did it up in black filament because that’s the only colour I had enough stock of and I figured it wouldn’t matter because I was going to spray it with a protective coat of acrylic paint anyway..

I managed to get it to fit on the hot bed, 32 x 21cm at an angle at a height of 40cm so that’s just as big as Buddha but won’t over shadow him, it took 3.5 kg of filament and 98 hours to complete, so it should be heavy enough to withstand most wind, if not then I’ll stick him on a plinth..
head 2jpg.jpg Untitled-3.jpg click to enlarge..
I used a good coat of white paint to cover the black and then finished him off with a mid-grey.. He’s now a handsome beggar..:)

P.S. If only we Humans could learn from the faith of these islanders....:smack

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I had seen a STL of a small Easter Island statue on one of the free sites and my other half said it would look good in the garden to keep Buddha company, but only if I could make it big enough, so I decided to have a go and see what size I could print it out at.

I did it up in black filament because that’s the only colour I had enough stock of and I figured it wouldn’t matter because I was going to spray it with a protective coat of acrylic paint anyway..

I managed to get it to fit on the hot bed, 32 x 21cm at an angle at a height of 40cm so that’s just as big as Buddha but won’t over shadow him, it took 3.5 kg of filament and 98 hours to complete, so it should be heavy enough to withstand most wind, if not then I’ll stick him on a plinth..
View attachment 15224 View attachment 15225 click to enlarge..
I used a good coat of white paint to cover the black and then finished him off with a mid-grey.. He’s now a handsome beggar..:)

P.S. If only we Humans could learn from the faith of these islanders....:smack
Those printers have earned their keep again - looks great :thumbsup

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat, your printer(s) did a very good job, but your painting skills are top notch as well. :)
I downloaded a very similar model in order to make a test. On my slicer, for a 40 cm high model, it needs as much as 30% infill and 3 vertical perimeters to reach 3.5kg of filament. I tend to use 10-15% infill for these kind of models, but it seems you wanted a really sturdy chap to make a suitable Buddha companion.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
15219-eddec3d5a43e8f56cad5f23211013bbe.jpg

Somebody likes it big for his garden
I wonder how long that one would take to print…:ep:lol:
I tend to use 10-15% infill for these kind of models, but it seems you wanted a really sturdy chap to make a suitable Buddha companion.
Yes I should have used 10 % fill too, but I was afraid he’d lose his head in a gust of wind… :)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Better safe than sorry... :D.
3D "·experts" say that if you want strong prints you should increase the number of vertical perimeters instead of the infill. I suppose that's true up to a point.
I'm tempted to print one of these moais, but 40 cm is too tall for my printer. Either I must settle for a smaller size or I'd need to split the big one in two parts. The problem with the last solution is that the seam will be always visible, no matter how accurately the two parts are joined.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When it comes to 3D printing, I’m no expert, but you get what you put in, because I’m forever making mistakes and only get if right after a few reprints..
The problem with the last solution is that the seam will be always visible, no matter how accurately the two parts are joined.
O’ there’s no worries about a seem in your project, a little bit of filler and a quick sanding makes all the difference..
say that if you want strong prints you should increase the number of vertical perimeters instead of the infill. I suppose that's true up to a point.
P.S. I wasn’t looking for a stronger print, more like a heavier print.. @Ink stained Fingers statue is the business ..;)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
To get a heavy print, nothing better and cheaper than attaching below the statue a plinth filled with lead pellets..:p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
After making this statue I reckon it would look better if it was on its own Pedestal.
15217-240a3990d7be1ddb44cbe6027d543f4a.jpg

So I decided to make one in 3 pieces, the bottom, middle and top, it was better to break them up to print and that made the whole thing easier to control overall.

Once printed in several colours I sprayed each of them first in white and then in grey, and when putting them together I poured gravel into the bottom section to made it heavier, and then placed the statue on top to finish..
Head on a high.jpg click to enlarge..
I reckon he stands out a bit better now, I might do the same with Buddha later, but not before I get more filament..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
That's a mighty and majestic statue. Your Buddha looks now a little thing, in comparison. :)
I've been trying to make one of these Moais for sometime, but other things came in the way. Maybe next month...