Anatomy of a Canon Waste Ink Tank (or Waste Ink Pads)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I recently took apart a Canon MP780 and MP760 to see what the waste ink pads looked like. This post shows what you can only see if you take one of these printers completely apart, that is, you have to take off both side panels, the scanner, the top of the printer and finally the entire printer mechanism plus the electonics board. Here is what the MP780 looked like:

1315_mp780_base_with_half_saturated_waste_pads.jpg

In the above view, the front of the printer is at the bottom of the picture. This printer did not have many borderless photos printed on it because the wide pad is almost devoid of ink. The stain at the left is from the small waste unit that you can see when you look inside one of these printers off to the left. The black area to the right is just below where the purge pump resides. This area will be shown in detail later.

Removing the top waste ink pad we can see the pad below it:

1315_mp780_with_one_wide_pad_removed.jpg

Notice that the right side of this pad has soaked up ink from the pad below it which is shown here:

1315_mp780_with_two_wide_pads_removed.jpg

Notice how the pad (above) extends on the left toward the front of the printer and on the right with two small pieces which actually soak up ink from the pads below it:

1315_mp780_with_three_wide_pads_removed.jpg

Note that the pads on the right supply ink to the pad above it which transfers the waste ink all the way across it to the pad on the left. The pads on the right will be shown in detail from another view but here is what we see when we remove the smaller pad on the left:

1315_mp780_with_one_narrow_pad_on_left_removed.jpg

This pad has not soaked up any ink yet and there is another identical one beneath it. In all, there are three identically shaped pads on the left.

Now we turn our attention to the pads on the right, the ones that are below the purge pump as viewed from the right of the printer. These pictures are from the MP760 which had gone beyond 100% full:

1315_mp760_saturated_waste_pads_under_purge_pump.jpg

In the above image, we can see how completely saturated all the pads under the purge pump were and how the ink overflowed the plastic barriers and stained the plastic base outside the area of the pads. There are two tubes (one for pigment ink and one for dye ink) coming out of the bottom of the purge pump that go into the small rectangular black hole near the left most edge of the pads in the above picture. That hole was full of thick black ink. The remaining pictures were taken after the waste ink pads were removed, cleaned and replaced in the printer base. We start with the same area but looking down:

1315_mp760_cleaned_waste_pads_under_purge_pump.jpg

Note in the above image that the top two pads (on the right) do not extend over any of the pads on the left. Next we remove those top two pads:

1315_mp760_waste_pads_with_top_two_removed.jpg

Notice the small section of pad just to the left of the right-angle piece sticking up in this pad. All the ink deposited from the purge pump must pass through this small area on its way to the larger pads.

Now we remove the widest pad and see:

1315_mp760_waste_pads_with_one_more_removed.jpg

These two top pads have strange shapes to fit the purge pump and the other mechanisms inside the printer where the print head parks and other maintenance on the print head is done.

Removing these two pads we have:

1315_mp760_with_two_waste_pads_left.jpg

And underneath that we see the lowest and last pad:

1315_mp760_with_one_waste_pad_left.jpg

And underneath the last pad we see some strange compartments:

1315_mp760_with_all_waste_pads_removed.jpg

The small rectangular trough at the top of this image is where the purge pump deposits the ink. It doesn't immediately contact the bottom pad until it has formed a shallow pool. I don't know why it is designed like this but in the MP780, there was no residual ink in this trough so somehow it got soaked up into the pads.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Superb pictorial, gh.

Thank you.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You could wonder why printer manufacturers are not making a maintenance tank for smaller cartridges like this to aborb the ink, so you can easily replace them. It does not matter if you must pay for it every time, but it will be certainly much easier for most of us to replace the absorption material this way.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
GH

great pics, very nicely done !!!

for you being at 100% the pads did not look that bad. were they ?? others have said that at 100% they have just reset their waste pad counter, kept using their old pads without any problems. some ever reset twice w/o changing the waste pads

no border less printing here so was thinking at 100%, maybe one reset w/o changing the pads might work

whatcha think ??

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500(spare), MP830(2 spares)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I guess I confused you. The pictures are from two different printers. The first part of the post is from a "broken" MP780 that I recently bought on eBay. It has the fairly clean pads. The second part of the post that focuses on the pads under the purge pump were from the MP760 that I have had for years. Here is a picture of all of its pads:

1315_mp760_base_with_saturated_waste_pads.jpg

It was so full of ink that it was leaking out from underneath the printer. I'm not sure when the leaking started but I had reset the printer a few months ago.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I always think that the purged ink will be evaporated over time unless one is doing lots of cleaning to unclog print head.

The foam pad may prevent the ink located down at the bottom layer from evaporating.

ghwellsjr, now you have the ink draining into a dish. Please report back in a month whether you have to dump the ink from the dish or the ink dries out due to evaporation.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I was putting lots of Windex on the purge pads of my MP760 to prevent clogging of the purge unit since every one of the MP780's (half a dozen) that I serviced developed this problem. And I had done a lot of deep head cleanings on 17 BCI-3eBk cartridges that I had just refilled but couldn't get to flow reliably.

But the MP780 that I took apart did not have any deposits of ink in the area where my MP760 was full of concentrated ink so there may have been a significant amount of evaporation.

I'll let you know what happens with my waste ink.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, I'm extremely impressed with the take apart and such superb and clear pics! Very well done my friend!!!

A quick question... I couldn't tell for sure, but was the pad pictured in this picture (the one that is completely saturated) the same thickness as the pads that sat on top of it?

Again, fantastic work and thanks for sharing!

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
now i get it, guess i should read the words instead of looking at the pretty pics..... again great pics

any feel for %'s of ink vs windex that hit the pads to cause the leakage ?

was thinking that maybe a shallow plastic or aluminum tray might fit/work under the printer.

tray would catch any leakage and then visually indicate when its time to "change the pads"

thoughts ?

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500(spare), MP830(2 spares)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
When I first saw the leak under my damaged MP760, I suggested to my friends that own the MP780's to put them on an aluminum tray to avoid staining their desk tops and I planned on doing that myself until I put in the external method.

I have no idea whether the Windex made it more difficult for the pads to soak up ink but keep in mind that the printer does not know that I'm putting Windex on the purge pads so it didn't bring about the 95% full message.

I would recommend that people check their waste ink tank counter and when it gets above 80%, put that tray under the printer to avoid a mess, and order some new waste ink pads from Canon.