An observation on "bad" and "clogged" printheads

Well, yes, that's an MSDS, but it's for a different product. I didn't find anything newer than 2004. Presumably that means they haven't changed the product since then.
 
ThrillaMozilla said:
Well, yes, that's an MSDS, but it's for a different product. I didn't find anything newer than 2004. Presumably that means they haven't changed the product since then.
Listen guys lets not get into age of this MSDS just in case someone complains about using ten year old stuff again.. :lau
 
This stuff as far as I can see is no more harmful than any other cleaning liquid
that is recommended on here day after day.

This stuff like all chemicals just needs some common sense and a bit of care when using is it
as safety is always a priority when handling anything, just read the label to be sure to be sure.. :)
 
nifty-stuff.com said:
ThrillaMozilla said:
Here's the MSDS. www.midlandtool.com/MSDS/L.A.%20Totally%20Awesome%20Cleaner.pdf . Some organic solvents, plus it's alkaline.
What's the consensus of the group on the chemicals in this stuff being good / safe for this type of use? What about in other applications like cleaning cart solutions, etc?
I don't know about group consensus, but the MSDS gives the product a "Slight" safety hazard rating. A closer look at the chemicals contained in the product gives a better picture of what you will be dealing with. Keep in mind that the hazardous components are in small amounts which accounts for the "slight" rating.

Sodium Hydroxide is a lye cleaner agent which has enough alkaline pH to liquify cells if insufficient percent volume or long enough contact depending on the tissue in contact. Mucous membranes, eye epithelium and open wounds would be most at risk for damage for a given strength and time.

Sodium Phosphate has a variety of uses including as a as a food ingredient as well as medication. It is used in certain enemas and can be toxic to the kidneys in high doses.

Ethoxylated Alcohols may be used as surfactants in detergents, various cleaning preparations, and even cosmetics. Not carcinogenic but can be irritating to the GI tract, eyes and skin.

So, limit exposure to LA Totally Awesome Cleaner and follow the guidelines on skin, eye, and GI tract exposure. I would not hesitate to use it if I had a need.
 
Thanks guys. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm actually way less concerned about what it would do to me vs. what it would do when used as a cleaning agent for printheads, sponges, etc.

I was just at the 99 Cent Only store and saw a squirt bottle of the "LA's TOTALLY AWESOME" cleaner and couldn't stop myself from picking some up. I also got some ammonia as well since it seems to be one of the key ingredients to many cleaning solutions.
 
When I walked into Rite Aid store last time I couldn't help buying a 1 quart bottle of Ammonia cleaner solution. It was less than $4 I think. I add it to my distilled water for cleaning print heads. Simply works and safe (save). I think it is harmless to our health because I can only smell Ammonia with my nose within inches from the solution.
 
ps.ijpf said:
turbguy said:
The "waste absorber sponge" that the print head rests on is really a thin, porous ceramic plate(s). . . .
Wayne
Not on my iP4000 printers. They have 2 fiber pads that are easily removable.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9330_img_2430_cropped.jpg
This is pretty interesting. I always assumed these two things were sponges until last night when I wend in to see if I could clean them and remove some excess ink from them with some paper towel. I was using needle nose pliers to get into the cramped space and then decided to push onto these sponges to see how pliable they were.

To my utter surprise not only did then not move, but they made a scratching sound against the metal of my pliers!?!? Definitely a ceramic sound on my i560 pads.

Now I'm more curious than ever about what these are made of and how they work.
 
Well my impatience got the best of me. I've verified that these pads (at least on my Canon i560) are indeed a hard porous ceramic like material.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=53849#p53849

10_inkjet-purge-pads-5.jpg
 
Back
Top