Ammonia and alcohol + heat dangerous?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hmm did anyone notice that ammonia when heated (coffee hot) gets very aggressive and is a very high risk factor? If you mix it with alcohol you can even unglue print head assembly and damage the head.

It happened a while back with HP500PS plotter print head, luckily you can replace the heads one by one as it uses single color heads.

Also ammonia fumes corrodes brass. Put a coin in it - nothing happens, remove it to get air contact watch it turn green :rolleyes:

This is with 10% ammonia and distilled water container. I wonder what concentration it's in windows cleaner? Since I can't buy them locally.

Perhaps HP print heads are different?

mrjenkins

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ah, that sounds very dangerous. I would suggest a different approach to cleaning. such as flushing with cleaning solution

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Smile: for a cleaning solution for clogged nozzles a few drops of concentrated ammonia (30 %) should be enough for 100 ml. To much and you will corrode your sensitive parts inside the printhead.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Smile: for a cleaning solution for clogged nozzles a few drops of concentrated ammonia (30 %) should be enough for 100 ml. To much and you will corrode your sensitive parts inside the printhead.
What are your sensitive parts doing inside a printhead? :|

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Froggy,

A Freudian sllip of the pen: the delicate parts inside the printhead. ;)