Alternatives to Canon Pro-1 inks?

anthonygh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro -1 Epson R3000 - two
Two questions here. I have been given two Pro-1s. One works perfectly, the other doesn’t……two colours won’t print. If I can’t fix it I’m tempted to use the cartridges (they all currently have ink) in the printer that does work.

My questions are these:
  1. Anyone know where I can find decent bulk ink for this printer in the UK or EU?
2. I have a number of out of date but fully sealed cartridges for the large format iPF5100 / 6100 /6200 printer group.

Can I decant the ink from these into the Pro-1 carts as they are used up? I have the PFI-103GY cart in front of me; it states Lucia Ink…it sounds like I should be able to fill the Pro 1 GY cart from it.

All advice appreciated!!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anyone know where I can find decent bulk ink for this printer in the UK or EU?
Any of the pro Graf printers that have big tanks and if out of date even better and you make sure it’s pigment ink, lastly do a colour swatch of the grey inks you have in the pro 1 carts and test it against the PFI-103GY ink first..

Originally I use to use the same grey in both the Pro 1 grey carts, the difference was negligible….
P.S. most of the 3rd party inks available are not that cheap..

anthonygh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Any of the pro Graf printers that have big tanks and if out of date even better and you make sure it’s pigment ink, lastly do a colour swatch of the grey inks you have in the pro 1 carts and test it against the PFI-103GY ink first..

Originally I use to use the same grey in both the Pro 1 grey carts, the difference was negligible….
P.S. most of the 3rd party inks available are not that cheap..
Thanks for the info. I can have the printer calibrated so I can cope with inks that are not a perfect colour match. I was hoping to get the defective printer working and dedicate it to B+W only...using a mix of these inks and OEM carts (where needed to make the proper colour set).

The printer that does work came with two complete sets of carts for it...so hopefully they will last for some time before I have to start 'being inventive' to save on costs!

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro-1 pro9500mark2pro9000mark2
Two questions here. I have been given two Pro-1s. One works perfectly, the other doesn’t……two colours won’t print. If I can’t fix it I’m tempted to use the cartridges (they all currently have ink) in the printer that does work.

My questions are these:
  1. Anyone know where I can find decent bulk ink for this printer in the UK or EU?
2. I have a number of out of date but fully sealed cartridges for the large format iPF5100 / 6100 /6200 printer group.

Can I decant the ink from these into the Pro-1 carts as they are used up? I have the PFI-103GY cart in front of me; it states Lucia Ink…it sounds like I should be able to fill the Pro 1 GY cart from it.

All advice appreciated!!

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model

My questions are these:

All advice appreciated!!
For the dark gray (dgy) in pro1, what I did was to mix 50% pbk and 50% pgy (this color is available in Canon large format inks) and it actually worked very well.

Last edited:

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ink filling tools, such as syringes, needles, etc. need to try to ensure that there is no dust, or even the working environment, which is important for the ink into the print head, although I found a metal filter inside the discarded pro1 print head, but if there are impurities in the ink, then it is fatal to the print head.This dust-free device is the best, I tried to diy

Attachments

• 66.jpeg
    66.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Filling pgi-29 cartridges with ink is not an easy task, you need the right needle and have some skills, otherwise the ink will enter the sandwich or spill out, you can ask Mr. Hat, he is an authority on these

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This dust-free device is the best, I tried to diy
That dust free device is well over the top, all refill ink regardless of where it comes from is in some sort of container, bottle or cartridge and is dust free already and the refilling syringe is also dust free…
Filling pgi-29 cartridges with ink is not an easy task, you need the right needle and have some skills, otherwise the ink will enter the sandwich or spill out,
Here are two posts on refilling the PGI-29 cart..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-cartridge-with-photos-part-2.8670/post-68882

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ridge-with-some-photos-part-1.8668/post-68874

anthonygh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the above advice. I am confident I can refill the Pgi-29 carts once I acquire the correct filling nozzle; I just want to be sure I'm getting inks that work together.

As it happens, I own two Epson R3000s...and none of this is a problem. Finding compatible or Epson inks for these printers is easy....as was finding auto reset refillable carts. I wonder if Canon shot themselves in the foot with the Pro-1 when ignoring the benefits to home printers of R3000 ownership.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the above advice. I am confident I can refill the Pgi-29 carts once I acquire the correct filling nozzle; I just want to be sure I'm getting inks that work together.
Refilling the PGI-29 tanks is very easy, and most 3rd party inks will mix without issues, but you must use a new profile once you start using the new ink but that takes ages because there’s a lot of ink in the CISS tubes.. Better options are OEM inks..
As it happens, I own two Epson R3000s...and none of this is a problem. Finding compatible or Epson inks for these printers is easy....as was finding auto reset refillable carts. I wonder if Canon shot themselves in the foot with the Pro-1 when ignoring the benefits to home printers of R3000 ownership.
On the contrary The Pro 1 was never meant for the home printer market, it was designed for professional use only and wasn’t supposed to be refilled, and the Epson R3000 maybe in the same ball park as printers go, but it could never match the quality output of the Pro 1.

P.S. Your also going to need one time chips for the carts, because disabling the ink monitoring is not a good option on this printer..:eek: