All-in-one/Multifunction inkjet printer....my budget is USD$140/RM500

speedoom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need some recommendation,i think i will buy it monday next week..
my budget is USD140/RM500

it must can print,scan and copy...fax no need..

at the moment,i thinking of Canon Pixma MP150 and MP170

Is there any other recommendation other than Canon??
i tried to check HP....but navigating their site is really a headache and the online store really sux

I prefer those AIO where i can get cheap replacement catridge or can refill the black catridge,with disposable print head and without chip on catridge......MP150/170 @ PG-40 got chip?

all helps are greatly appreciated :D since i am noob with printer and stuff

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Speedoom,

Got a few thing to say------(1) By Monday?----in a complicated market you expect to make a good consumer choice by Monday? (2) Frankly I think the Canon the MP150&170 are a terrible choice if your printing volume is anyting but very low--those are chipped printers with small and very over priced cartridges----------but if you can locate and buy the similar unchipped MP130, 370, or 390 on ebay---then you can buy
dirt cheap--buck a pop replacement cartridges and you have something. (3) All these named pinters have the printhead seperate from the cartridge. (4) Maybe someone can recommend some HP model. (5) Can you get by with a sheetfeed type scanner or do you need a flatbed?--the former is cheaper. (6) Knowing something about your printing needs---types of uses and antipated volume would help us advise you.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Osage's advice is excellent.. If you can find one of the Canons he mentioned that uses the bci-24carts,then those would be your best choice.

I sell HP 1315s...very inexpensive to buy and easy to refill...check them out well.

Good Luck!

speedoom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
yes,i need it by monday (1/5/06) ..
because i got some works need to be done and my old canon printer BJC-265SP,suddenly stop working last week....since it's an old printer so i decided to replace it with a new AIO......i know its's quite late :(

what i know is the only AIO using bci-24 carts are MP110/130 and MP370/390 only,right?
and yes,the carts price is quite cheap only RM24/USD6 for black and RM52/USD14 for colour compared to MP170 catridge(PG-40) which is RM66/USD17 black

and what is the price for MP370/390 and MP110/130? cant found the price or even the info at canon malaysia site....
the MP130 have a fixed print head right?how long is the warranty for printhead?will it last long?

what are the differences between MP130 and MP170?any extra function for MP170?

i usually print document black&white only..average volume,maybe like 40~60 pages per month(not sure)
i prefer a flatbed scanner with ability to reduce and enlarge....
basically,with budget of USD140 i expect a good AIO,i concern more for better function rather than print quality, since i am not going to print alot of pictures.....maybe once in a while only

btw,i dont think HP malaysia carry the 1315....only PSC1410/1510/1610,photosmart 2575/3110 and others that dont fit my budget....
now,i thinking of Canon Pixma MP130 and HP PSC 1510/1610/1350.......any comments?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you will only print 40-60 pgs per month..and you can find a 130, buy it. I have sold a few and the customers are happy with them.

speedoom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
unfortunately......after searching,searching and searching....i cant find the mp130
all shop only carry MP110/150/170......

so, got other suggestion? how bout the HP 1610?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Speedoom,

It looks like the MP110 is non chipped, takes the BCI-24 cartridges, and would be also a good choice. The MP150/170 is chipped, takes more expensive cartridges, and prevents you from using dirt cheap third party cartridges. But understand that the reason I am recommending something like the MP110 is predicated on you using dirt cheap third party cartridges---which in the US can cost as little as $1.00 per cartridge. OEM cartridges to OEM cartridges--the MP110 would be about on a par with some of the HP models mentioned for ink consumable costs.---except with HP models--no significant saving are to be found in using using remanufactered cartridges. But using dirt chep third party cartrdges in a Canon MP110 will easily save you the initial purchase price of the printer each and every year at your present printing volume.---and yes the MP110 printhead does last, is user removable and cleanable, and does produce very good output.

But the MP 110 has basically the same internal guts as the rest of the other non-chipped models mentioned---what you lose as you go down the price scale is often camera connections such as pic-bridge---and sometimes things like paper output trays.

Manuchau is extremely knowlegable---and knows much more than I do about HP printers. But HP printers are also starting to be chipped making that other economy option--refilling--harder--so I will let him or another poster advise you regarding HP models locally available to you.

But if your printing is only black and white--consider also some cheap monochrome laser all in ones.

speedoom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hmm....now i'm not interested with HP models anymore...
read some user feedback from Cnet.au......hp models have a lot of problems,especially PSC 1610...

btw, Osage....are u sure PG-40/MP170 is chipped? and it cant be refill?
because i found a forum's member, use and sell refills for those catridge
here is the link..... http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=282065&hl=pixma and http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=276589&hl=pixma
ever heard of the brand "Fullmark","colorex"?

(3) All these named pinters have the printhead seperate from the cartridge
that means the printhead is not a disposable type right? the printhead is not included when buy a new catridge,right?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To speedoom.

I went to your link---not all that familar with the currency unit---but the above link stated they were selling canon OEM cartridges for the Canon Mp170---guess very expensive----the bottom link was for refill ink--which any chipped canon can use. Its just more hassle to refill a chipped rather than a non-chipped Canon--and those cartridges are so small its hardly worth while in my opinion.

No I am not familar with the fullmark brand--maybe others are--but if you go the refill route--your only other present option on the chipped MP170--I would recommend you stick with formulalabs, MIS, or hobbicolors inks.--where you for sure won't go wrong. I could refer you to another post in which the initial assumtion made by the user was that they were using good ink--it took 3 pages of posts to get the user to switch to one of the three inks I cited--at which point all initial problems went away. Why gamble?

And I do know for a fact that the set of Canon printers that take the BCI-24 B& tri-color have printheads that are seperate from the cartridge. A big advantage in my opinion.

But if you are thinking about refilling something like a MP170, maybe someone already doing the same thing could weigh in and advise you.

speedoom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for your helps and recommendations....i really appreciate it :)

next monday...i will look first and maybe test both MP130/170 (if shops still have the MP130)
and i will try to get the ink's brand you recommends....though,not sure if can get in malaysia or if it have compatible cart or refill kit for MP170

i tought disposable printhead is better? eventhough more expensive but if the printhead go wrong can always buy a new catridge with printhead..