Advice - Multifunction Printer purchase

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This would seem to be the best option, without the fairy of course… ;)
fairy-jpg.9132

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes, but knowing her it will probably fall into the category of "too big" for the desk :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From your link, Peter...

After less than half an hour the black cartridge that I had refilled yesterday with the Canon OEM ink for "G-series" printers was almost totally clogged.
Can you clarify this, please. You filled a Canon G printer with OEM Canon G Printer ink and it clogged? Or was it a different printer model that had a different ink in it before refilling with Canon G model ink?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
From your link, Peter...

Can you clarify this, please. You filled a Canon G printer with OEM Canon G Printer ink and it clogged? Or was it a different printer model that had a different ink in it before refilling with Canon G model ink?
It was a PG-510 black cartridge for another printer, one of the Canon 2 cartridge printers. As the "Print heads" in the G series printers are modified combined sponge/printhead cartridges I expected the bottled inks for the G series printers to work well in the "old" combined cartridges. The ink didn't work well in the PG-510 cartridge and later caused a total clogging. My guess is that the bottled black ink reacted with remnants of cleaning fluid and/or demineralized water from the cleaning and caused a reaction similar to the formation of "Yello Gello". See this link.

John R

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
The Canon TS5120 and HP Envy 7155 are the fastest with disposable printheads.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
If you are concerned about finding suitable third party ink for a Canon Megatank printer, don't be. The cost of genuine Canon ink bottles is really low and that eliminates any concern about ink incompatibility. Remember that there is enough ink in one bottle to equal about 30 individual cartridges. The Megatank printers are higher on the initial cost, but after that there is very, very little expense.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks @drc023 for that info. Yes the inks look very affordable for original Canon ink. I think she will go for one of the Mega tank models.