advice? Canon or Epson? (workforce 645)

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have had and used a canon Mp530 for quite a number of years, its worked well up to now refilling and resetting the cartridge chips with the re-setter i have.
for some time the mp530 will only print black using the matte photo paper setting int he printer properties.
It seems that the purge tube is likely completely clogged, through another site i came across i found directions to totally disassemble and fix this issue, BUT i don't really want to do that if i don't have to.

So im looking for a good alternative to replace the mp530
Today: i see at Samsclub an Epson workforce 945 on sale from 159.00 to 89.00. it looks like a good AIO( which i need to scan and fax)
I dont know anything about the cartridges and the ease of refilling. ( how many cartridges are used?
Do the cartridges need to be reset? How is that done?
Pigment or dye based inks?
( i have a full set of dye based bottles plus a bottle of pigment black for the mp530)

Anything anyone can offer that i need to consider? Or any other suggestions on an AIO with Scan/Fax ( photo printing is irrelevant and i dont want it)

Thanks much

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Couple of things to consider re: the WF 945

1. Waste ink.. Eventually the printer will need a waste counter reset and some kind of pad replacement or external kit.. (All Epsons do whereas Canons take a lot longer to get there)

2. Refilling original cartridges is a lot harder than Canon by a factor of a few 3 figure numbers. Also protection built into the cartridges to stop you resetting the chips. You're much better off considering refillable cartridges or CIS systems instead as they come with chip resetting built in and are simpler to refill

3. The inks will be completely different to your existing stock so don't even think about using your current stuff with an Epson..

4. The inks you'll get with a 945 are likely to be pigment (as OEM) so you could opt for pigment ink refillable carts (don't go to pigment ink CIS systems unless they are FULLY supported by the seller!) or for budget you could use Dye alternatives.. You don't chop and change though or you'll just get things clogged up..

Other printers are much of a muchness but it really depends on what you want to use the printer for, budget, etc... so more information would be needed on what you want it for to be able to advice further.

Hope that's some use.

Martin

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Im not opposed to getting another canon i just saw the Epson and decided it was time to make a decision, try to fix this mp530 ( i MIGHT have the time) or just buy one if its cheap enough.
Is there some sort of reset i can apply to the mp530 or do i need, as i understand it now, that i need to replace the waste pads and fix the purge tube clog/issue that ive been told it has ( canon actually has a "fix" for this that is sent with the waste ink pad replacement, that i have)

The canon cartridges are easy to refill and reset and that is my main concern, ink economy. I dont mind buying refillable cartridges for the espon, are they reliable long term?
what about relative ink cost between canon and epson...print heads seem to be "better" in the epsons?

i print/copy a lot of B/W documents some color and use the scanner often as well, i use the fax less often, but it is very handy to have. CIS ink system are probably way overkill for my needs.

any other recommendations for either company?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
BNDAZ said:
Im not opposed to getting another canon i just saw the Epson and decided it was time to make a decision, try to fix this mp530 ( i MIGHT have the time) or just buy one if its cheap enough.
They don't produce the MP530's any more so that might be tricky... may be some old ones knocking around on eBay, etc though..

Is there some sort of reset i can apply to the mp530 or do i need, as i understand it now, that i need to replace the waste pads and fix the purge tube clog/issue that ive been told it has ( canon actually has a "fix" for this that is sent with the waste ink pad replacement, that i have)
I've not tried resetting the waste counter on anything newer than an iP4200 but as I understand it, there are utilities available to reset the waste counter of quite a few newer Pixma models if you can get the printer into maintenance mode. Getting to the actual waste ink pads though is likely to be a rather involved process. A service manual would be a must, along with a digital camera toting assistant to record every screw, nut and plastic parts location pre (and post) removal so you can reverse the process when putting it back together.

The canon cartridges are easy to refill and reset and that is my main concern, ink economy. I dont mind buying refillable cartridges for the espon, are they reliable long term?
Refillable carts in Epsons are refillable long term but as you'll see from a few posts around the key is in priming them properly... If you're printing a lot then CIS systems are the way forward but best to look at what's available before you leap there.

I've noticed there are single button resettable chips on refillable carts and CIS systems coming out recently although apparently some Quality issues exist so perhaps worth waiting a little and/or detailed research.

what about relative ink cost between canon and epson...print heads seem to be "better" in the epsons?
Depends entirely on the printer... an SX435W isn't going to hold up to a Pixma iP4950, while a P50 might... Incidentally, I've noticed that Epson seem to be doing away with printer only models in some places and switching to MFD's across the board.

i print/copy a lot of B/W documents some color and use the scanner often as well, i use the fax less often, but it is very handy to have. CIS ink system are probably way overkill for my needs.
Ah... probably should have remembered this when I answered above... refillable carts with a good priming technique then..

any other recommendations for either company?
Hmm... Possible a PX660 (if you don't need duplexing) or a PX730WD on the Epson front... For Canons, MG6250 might be more to your liking... Unfortunately I don't get sustained play time to give a definitive answer on either but the above should help nudge thought processes and help you narrow things down a bit.