Adequate Multi Function Printer?

chas045

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It looks like my Canon mx860 multi function printer probably has problems with its purge unit (I'm actually waiting on a response from my newest entry and will probably re-post to be sure it has been seen as a new thought). I suspect that I may as well buy a new printer since they are not much more expensive than buying a bunch of new ink carts to be sure that isn't the problem. I have been refilling for several years. We had a canon MP830 before, until it died with the a600 or whatever purge error. I had gotten trigger37's repair info but it seemed painful and I found the mx860 for cheap instead. I do still have a pack of brand new cli8 carts.

So: our quality requirements are low. We have almost never attempted quality photo printing, although I could imagine it happening someday(I have a nice pack of kodak paper waiting). The wife prints ~10 pages or so, every day or two, of knitting patterns and web info that needs to be in color. It would be nice if the colors were close but exact is not necessary (certainly not by the standards in the current post discussing photo black, where I can't see any difference). She also uses the copy, and rarely the scan functions, and I like the feeding of multiple pages and duplex printing that rarely happens. So a multifunction unit is needed.

What mf printer would you recommend? I am cheap, I am willing to refill. Is there a good reason to stay with canon? I have the resetter for the 221 carts but the small volume compared to the cli8s annoys me. I suppose I could still try to resurect the old MP830 since I have the instructions, a pack of 2 yr old unopened ink and a ton of old carts at room temp. , but the 830 is stored in the attic that is probably at 100 degrees plus today.

So what do you all think would be a practicle printer?

M

MiniMe

Do you need Fax? What is your location?

The MG series seems to be reliable and can be had for dirt cheap prices in North America. MG 5320 is good if you don't need Fax or can put up with the lack of the sheet feeder it is a good pick. Most of the newer Canon sheet feeder MFP's use carts that are not easily refilled...ie not 4 or 5 individual color cart systems.

chas045

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back, I'm in the USA east coast. I have used fax in the past but I would think that an email should do the trick almost anywhere. On those rare times when I am copying a multi page document (into a file, even more important), it would be very useful to have the sheet feeder. I see that the mg6200 has one for $99

M

MiniMe

I think the MX892 would be a better fit for you. It has Fax, a sheet feeder, and uses 5 individual 225/226 style carts which are suitable for refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
slocumeddie said:
MiniMe....What has been your experience with Canon's MG5320 and MX892 ??

Do you use these printers on a regular basis ??

Thanx !
Nice one :lol: :thumbsup

M

MiniMe

The Hat said:
slocumeddie said:
MiniMe....What has been your experience with Canon's MG5320 and MX892 ??

Do you use these printers on a regular basis ??

Thanx !
Nice one :lol: :thumbsup
I have an MG5320. I don't own an MX892 and did not say if I thought that it was good or bad but that it fit his needs perfectly....big difference.

I also see that the hat still hasn't answered my question on another thread.

Now that's a good one :)