Absorbent sponges in Canon printers

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well, based on what I've read about the waste tank full message on this board and other sites, I could assume that this is a software counter issue. There is no real waste tank full detector in the printer itself. Or maybe I am wrong.
If I am right though, reformatting your PC will reset the waste tank full counter to zero.
I have a habbit of reformatting my PC every few months, so maybe I'll never get that waste tank full error message.
Just my 2 cents! :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
GD, what would be your advice for cleaning up these sponges?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
BlasterQ, I think you are correct that it is a counter and not an actual measuring device. In the "unlocking hidden secrets" thread we discussed the "D=" counter that is held in the internal printer memory and represents the number for how "full" the wast tank is. Formatting, ghosting, etc. your PC shouldn't make any difference as this is internal, solid state memory in the printer.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Panos,

First, let me state that I have never cleaned these pads on my printer (yet), and am speaking only from what I have read about the experience of others.

1. I would start by re-reading Neil's information about cleaning these pads at (http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff11.html).
2. You can clean these pads in your sink if it is stainless steel, but the inks will stain some colored sinks. If I didn't have a stain-proof sink, I would use something like a large cake pan in an area where ink stains wouldn't matter.
3. Hot water will clean better than cold water.
4. If the ink is stubborn, adding some liquid soap or laundry detergent to the water to help dissolve the ink.
5. Rubber gloves are mandatory.
6. Make sure that the pads are completely dry, as you don't want a lot of water vapor inside your printer after it is reassembled.