A3 printer that can print banners ?

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Tomas said:
I'm slow to go with a second hand printer.

@ Websnail - thanks for the printer offer - I'm in germany though!
Ultimately this is your choice. I'm pleased with my second hand 1280, but paid nothing for it. If I needed to print banners, I personally would consider a used 1280 if it was $100 or less. In my neck of the woods I can get the 1520 for $50 or less used, and the 1280 floats at about $50 to $150. Ultimately the printer cost is trivial in contrast to the cost of ink.

I would say a used Epson, with an external waste tank and bulk ink feed is worth considering.

Tomas said:
IGExpandingPanda said:
The HP business jets though, those do tend to have replaceable heads, where the Epsons have a longer life fixed head.
showing my ignorance here: - that has pros & cons I presume?
do you replace inkheads with each ink-cartridge? - I'm used to canon (mind you I had/have a dud canon printer where the problem is possibly the print head - but I'm not willing to pay out 60 to find out that it's something else)
Has it more expensive ink/maintenance costs then?
The HP is a thermal printer like Canon. The business jet line tends to have external tanks connected with tubes to replaceable print heads. The #88 for example is rated at 41,000 pages @ 5% coverage and runs about $60 each. .14c/page is the overhead for the printhead. The #11 is rated at 16000 pages @ 5% coverage and floats at about $25 each or .16c/page. While significant it works out since the ink for these models tends to be triple the yield of desktop models but only double the cost.

If you have a 4 color model, odds are at some point after 16000 or 32000 pages you'll have to replace the heads at $25 each, or $60 each depending on model.

Canon printhead lifespan isn't nearly so high. IIRC it's rated at about 5000 pages for the black, and roughly equal use for the color. Reality is higher. However, given the cost of OEM ink and the printhead, it makes sense to consider a new printer. I personally bought a spare mp830 for this reason, because I want bulk ink and want to keep it in service as long as possible. The printhead cost is trivial in contrast to the ink. Based on the Canon numbers, I worked it out to be about $1 per cartridge change, where end of life = each tank replaced 10 times.

In contrast, HP's cost for heads is a rather trivial expense. Canon works out to be about an extra hidden cost of about 1c/page until the head reaches "end of life". Reality is likely more like .25 to .50c/page. HP replacement heads tend to be mandatory when the printer complains about them, but the end running cost is lower than canon, more so since they you only replace the printhead that has reached end of life.

Epson on the other hand uses micropiezo printheads. They are not thermal and as such are not prone to burnout. However, since they don't use expanding gas, they are more prone to clog since they they don't generate the same level of force to spew ink as thermals do. This is rather why they employ pumps that literally suck on the printhead to do a cleaning. Most Epson clogs can be resolved with a mix of window cleaner and alcohol.

The obvious pro/can is the HP business jets and Canons you can throw money at them to resolve the major print issues, where the Epsons at times require maintenance. For my daily printing I use Canon. I find the ease of refilling and the low cost of replacement heads, as well as the fact that Epson doesn't offer a general purpose printer to fit my needs. For wide, I picked an Epson.

[Epson 1400]

It looks like the printer does feature a paper feed button, though I don't know how it behaves, as in does it load a sheet and get ready for printing when you hit it, or is it just there to feed paper though. That's one of the features needed for printing on rolls, getting the printer to feed the roll before printing.

Even my old photo ex, a standard a3 printer slugish beast, even that has a paper feed button.

While it doesn't feature a roll, everything I read suggests the 1400 will print up to 44 inches. In fact, even the sub $100 R200 and current r280 supports 44 inch max length. But it doesn't hurt to check with Epson on this issue.

Tomas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
wow I'm learning a lot here!

I have come across a Epson 1290 auction in ebay.de
EDIT seems very expensive though @ 220 euro for printer that came out in 2002 (dont know how old this one is though)
Epson Stylus Photo 1290 DIN A3 + Printer with rollpaperunit

The printer works perfectly. I will supply a test-printout to prove perfect functionality.
Printerresolution up to 2880 dpi. It is possible to print on endless-paper in DIN A3+ format.
No missing parts. Very good technical and optical condition.
New ink cartriges installed in the printer (original Epson, worth about 50 Euros).
Can be operated with sublimation-inks.

The printer can be used immediately and will be packed very well.

Included are: Printer, driver-cd, powercord, printercable and pdf-handbook.
USB- port for Mac, Parallelport and USB for PC

If you have further questions fell free to ask by e-mail.
doesnt sound like a waste ink-tank was used -
also I see from reviews that it's a combo-inktank for the colours -what I want to print actually has very little colour - just colour highlights here and there and black "line-art" so this probably shouldnt be a problem, also longevity isnt particularly important.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The external waste in tank thing is easy enough to handle if you're as willing to learn as you seem to be so don't let that phase you... I happen to have all the intel on www.continuousink.info anyway so that's not a worry.

The CIS, likewise is not a major issue... you can get them in various places but I know mine will work :)

Anyhoo... 220 euro is a liddle steep so I'd just keep an eye out... You may find someone on here who wants to flog one.. you never know :)

I'll see how things ride when I get these printers and suss them out anyways... Someone's going to want them.. *assuming their work of course* ;)

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Tomas said:
wow I'm learning a lot here!

I have come across a Epson 1290 auction in ebay.de
EDIT seems very expensive though @ 220 euro for printer that came out in 2002 (dont know how old this one is though)

doesnt sound like a waste ink-tank was used -
also I see from reviews that it's a combo-inktank for the colours -what I want to print actually has very little colour - just colour highlights here and there and black "line-art" so this probably shouldnt be a problem, also longevity isnt particularly important.
I agree, 220 euro for a used 1290 is a tad steep, but we are not talking about just a 1290, we're talking about a 1290 with a CIS. I don't know the going rate of CIS systems. I see many listed at $100, others closer to $40. So let's say 50 euros. It may include ink, and it might be dye sublimation ink. If that's the case, I would expect about $30/30ml or $180 for the ink. Not very useful to you.

Epson 1520 on e-bay now at EUR 76,00

There are some 1270s, which should fit the bill as well.

It's hard to determine age since this line (1270/1280/1290) was first released in 2000, and wasn't replaced until the 1400 in 2007. I know the Epson store in the us offered the 1280 6 months ago, IIRC they wanted $125 for a refurbished unit. They even offered the 1520, an even older printer 6 months ago. For me, I can get the 1400 as a referb for $180.

The 1520 is older, like 1998 or so. Here is a user review

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/printers/photo-printers/epson/PRD_12975_1688crx.aspx
userreview said:
when the prints come out, they are great. most of the time--the printer has been possessed by a poltergeist. random computer characters come flying out and appear all over the expensive 17x22 paper. when its not speaking in tongues, its eating the paper and printing out strange black lines.
Ok, I've experienced this. The 1520 was never an end user printer but rather was to print proofs for a printshop. As such, it's not easy to use at all. I know the issue, and this was normal in 1998. It has to do with no bidirectional support, where the PC would continue printing a document whether the printer was on or not, ready or not.

The waste tank is something that any Epson user should consider. Because of their design, they do waste ink. That ink goes into the diaper (waste pad) which must be changed after a certain amount of cleanings. Getting service, if you can't do it your self, will likely cost 1/2 replacement value of the printer, a normal operating expense. Because the printer uses a pump, it's somewhat easy to attach a bottle and dispose of the waste ink, presuming you actually use the printer. To be honest, I have not attached a bottle to mine yet.