A3 printer that can print banners ?

Tomas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for an A3 printer that can print banners up to 35"/850mm long to print graphic images (flat colours)
I dont want to pay over (roughly) $700 (or equivalent, say 600) and cheaper generally better!

I've never printed using roll-paper before but believe it can be done manually on some printers?
I know my Canon iP6600D (A4 printer) doesnt show it as an option but does allow you to set custom size for paper -
as to whether the roll-paper could be manually fed into the printer I dont know

Canon PIXMA iX4000 & iX5000 look interesting, cheap(ish), only 4 inks
here's the 4000 http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iX4000/index.asp?specs=1
Say they can print "A3+" whatever that means. only difference between the two seems to be printing speed
but again they dont advertise bannner printing as a capability so I just dont know... I'll try contacting them but have tried before without success

Epson R1900 seems like a good candidate -
cons -
too many inks (8 I think, too expensive to upkeep) -
Epsons have had a reputation of clogging (do they still?)

HP's web site is not very informative either -
A3 printers are:-
HP Business Inkjet 2800 Printer (C8174A)
HP Officejet Pro K8600dn Printer (CB016A)
Again they dont say that they can print banner prints
Likewise with their large format photo printers http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...vel=2#bcAnchor&jumpid=in_r329_ad_PRINTERtile2

thanks for *any* advice here!
Tom

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have an Epson 1280. It's an older model but it doesn't really have an issue with clogging and I don't use it daily. I have had to clean it once using Windex and alcohol per Arthur Entlich 's instructions.

There are clogging issues on their low priced consumer models. It's less of an issue on their dye models. Their durabrite pigment inks are quick drying and well, do clog.

A3+ is larger than a3. In US terms IIRC a3 is like 11x17 where a3+ is like 13x19.

The Epson 1400 is something I'd consider buying. It'd dye so it's lower risk. It's cheap, like about $230 USD, or 235.00-300 USD based on a quick look.

Canon a4 models don't do banners. You can define a custom paper size, but there is a maz limit of what was it, about 23.5 inches or so. Their pixma pro models don't do banners, while being a3+ they won't print on paper longer than 24 inches. I believe their IX4000 also has the same limitation. There are rumors that you can use RIP to go beyond this, but I've not tried it. But at present it's safe to presume the IX4000/5000 are no-gos for your application. Perhaps the IX9000.

The HP's you listed are likely to employ larger tanks which may serve to reduce printing costs. I don't know these models in particular, but that's the norm for their officejet/businessjet series, double the cost for cartridges but triple the volume. Don't quote me on this. I'm not sure about banner support, but HP is more likely to support it than Canon.

But I hate to say it, but Epson is the only printer I know about that supports banner printing out of the box. The Epson 1400 is pretty reasonable pin price.

Tomas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply :)

The 1400 doesnt show up when you look at Epson products - has to be searched (prob cause it's not of the latest crop of offers) for but it's still there - looks good, ideal actually, but doesnt say anything about roll-paper support ?

The 1900 on the other hand says "Roll paper support for printing panoramas"

It is simply that the 1900 will hold the roll for you whereas with the 1400 it has to be done manually in some way?
I've seen roll-paper holder/feeders so maybe something like that could be used?

It's always a bit depressing to see US prices - the R1900 for example is nearly 240$ more here in Germany than the price quoted in the link above :( ah well, while I'm moaning :D
re the other two brands:-

- I've found out over the weekend that canon limit their printer driver so as it cant print banners - apparently the Win98 driver could do it but they disabled it - some speculate because they dont make roll-paper (think of all the canon ink I'd use though) I'm getting disillusioned with Canon (I've had canon printers for the last 8 years) - almost impossible to contact them with a pre-sales question too

- HP I contacted but apart from the automatic response saying I'd get a reply in 24 hours I havent heard anything in 2 working days so far..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I can give you a few pointers on a couple of those..

1. The iX4000 is not going to be worth bothering with. That's a personal opinion but really I didn't rate it too much and flogged my one after 6 months of very little use for anything. The K8600 and K850 I have now are much better IMHO

2. The K8600 DOES provide the option for "HP Banner Paper" so you might want to check into what that is exactly and take it from there. From what I can see that's 5 sheets but no idea on how that's aligned or the final length.

A little digging finds you this:
http://www.graytex.com/hp-banner-paper.htm

So it seems the printers can handle it but obviously you need to have a manual rear feed panel for it to work... The same is true of the K850 although this interestingly has up to A3 banner paper specified.. the K8600 may too but it's hard to know for sure.

Tomas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi and thanks a lot for the HP info

when you say "obviously you need to have a manual rear feed panel for it to work" I'm not sure - do they have this ?
Maybe they just printed using this perforated/joined/folded pages which wouldnt be ideal for me - I'd want to use roll-paper.

I will try contacting them again tomorrow - now I have something more specific to go on they might reply the beggars

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Tomas said:
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply :)

The 1400 doesnt show up when you look at Epson products - has to be searched (prob cause it's not of the latest crop of offers) for but it's still there - looks good, ideal actually, but doesnt say anything about roll-paper support ?

The 1900 on the other hand says "Roll paper support for printing panoramas"

It is simply that the 1900 will hold the roll for you whereas with the 1400 it has to be done manually in some way?
I've seen roll-paper holder/feeders so maybe something like that could be used?

Righto, this is the point where I have to correct my self. The Epson Photo Stylus 1270/1280/1290 supported rolls out of the box. The 1400 clearly does not. This was clearly a silly assumption based on the fact that the 1400 was next in the Photo Stylus line. The 1400 supports the same max paper length as other Epsons, 44 inches. If you don't need the latest and greatest you might consider hunting up the older model on the used circuit. I got mine for free but USD$100-$200 is what I'd expect in terms of price in my neighborhood.

The R1900 is a different line. (r800/r1900/r2400/r2880) These are pigment printers which might be what you want. I have to admit, I could use an excuse to buy one.

Also in the older class in the good old Epson 1520. It looks like an a2 printer with tractor feed support but really doesn't support a printable area of much larger than a3+. I know they continued to sell this model, yes with tractor feed paper support, on the US Epson referb store until about 6 months ago. The only reason I don't continue using this model is because the 1280 was free and the 1280 supports borderless. As I recall it supports a2 rolls but max printable area of 13.7 inches wide IIRC.

The HP business jets though, those do tend to have replaceable heads, where the Epsons have a longer life fixed head.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Tomas said:
hi and thanks a lot for the HP info

when you say "obviously you need to have a manual rear feed panel for it to work" I'm not sure - do they have this ?
Maybe they just printed using this perforated/joined/folded pages which wouldnt be ideal for me - I'd want to use roll-paper.
Well the K850 seems to indicate it can handle the roll feed and unless you get an old version with the duplexer you should get a manual feed panel in the back without any problems at all.

The K8600dn and standard K8600 both come with the manual feed as standard although the DN model requires you to swap it out with the duplexer (can't have both at once).

I would give it a try for you but my K8600 is duplexed up and very hard to get at.. plus I have no roll paper... if I can figure a way I might try for the heck of it but I doubt in time to help you.

I will try contacting them again tomorrow - now I have something more specific to go on they might reply the beggars
NP... good luck.

Re: the 1280/1290... If you're in the UK I'm getting two 1280's from a school that need declogging so if you want I can hold one back with a CIS kit, inks and waste tank installed... No idea how good or bad they'll be as yet though.

Cheers

Martin

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
websnail said:
Re: the 1280/1290... If you're in the UK I'm getting two 1280's from a school that need declogging so if you want I can hold one back with a CIS kit, inks and waste tank installed... No idea how good or bad they'll be as yet though.

Cheers

Martin
I do have direct experience with the 1280. The obvious benefit is it supports rolls out of the box. While and older printer, Epson heads are not prone to burn out like thermal ones. There is an issue with waste ink and it eventually becoming full. I'm unsure if this offer would include a diaper change, which would be highly recommended for transport. The waste tank is worth it since you don't have to worry about replacing the printer's diaper. A good CIS would save you money in the long term, rather quickly given you're planning on printing 35" prints. The CIS should make it easier to flush the system with a ammonia window cleaner and alcohol mix.

The downside to the 1280 is the OEM ink isn't very lightfast. There are some aftermarket solutions like Lyson that claim to be more archival, but no independent tests that I'm aware of. There are pigment bulk inks available.

Oh another older printer is the Epson Stylus Photo 2200. It too supports rolls out of the box, and IIRC has a paper cutter accessory. The 1280 doesn't have this.

And slightly older still is the Epson Stylus Photo 2000P, again supporting rolls out of the box.
Both the 2200 and 2000 are pigment printers.

1270 review
2200 review
R1800 reivew
Epson 1280 vs 2000

Not to add to your confusion, but just wanted to present the options.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Tomas said:
HP Officejet Pro K8600dn Printer (CB016A)
Again they dont say that they can print banner prints
http://www.trustedreviews.com/print.../HP-OfficeJet-Pro-K8600-A3--Inkjet-Printer/p1

User commentary said:
Currently (August 23 2008) the HP Datasheet series AA1-7140***.PDF for this machine shows a maximum custom print capability of 330 x 2540mm. However, the supplied printer driver only permits a maximum of 330 x 482mm. Please note that the displayed maximum print length of 2540mm shown by the majority of resellers, including Dabs and Amazon is incorrect. This is not the fault of resellers, who are wholly reliant on technical specifications passed to them by manufacturers.
It's a tad tough finding you you need from HP

For laughs I checked the prices on A2 printers, and the new ones start at $1000 Euros. This doesn't exclude the possibility of a used a2 printer.

Tomas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
User commentary said:
Currently (August 23 2008) the HP Datasheet series AA1-7140***.PDF for this machine shows a maximum custom print capability of 330 x 2540mm. However, the supplied printer driver only permits a maximum of 330 x 482mm. Please note that the displayed maximum print length of 2540mm shown by the majority of resellers, including Dabs and Amazon is incorrect. This is not the fault of resellers, who are wholly reliant on technical specifications passed to them by manufacturers.
the plot thickens !!

I'm slow to go with a second hand printer.

@ Websnail - thanks for the printer offer - I'm in germany though!

IGExpandingPanda said:
The HP business jets though, those do tend to have replaceable heads, where the Epsons have a longer life fixed head.
showing my ignorance here: - that has pros & cons I presume?
do you replace inkheads with each ink-cartridge? - I'm used to canon (mind you I had/have a dud canon printer where the problem is possibly the print head - but I'm not willing to pay out 60 to find out that it's something else)
Has it more expensive ink/maintenance costs then?

BTW the K8600 doesnt seem to do it according to manual -
it says A3 Banner printing "Banner A3 (297 x 420 mm; 11.7 x 16.5 inches) but those measurements are just A3 size - more confusion
Couldnt find the K850 manual on their site

I have contacted HP (second attempt)

EDIT/ Found the K850 manual. It offers:-
Banner Tabloid (279.4 by 431.8mm; 11 by 17 inches)
+
Custom-sized media between 76.2 to 330
mm wide and 127 to 483 mm long (3 to 13
inches wide and 5 to 19 inches long)

I suspect these printers also limited by driver settings ...