A3 Printer -low running costs - great print results ????

blackandwhite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, ive just been reading this forum for almost an hour, an there is so much info on here. so i throught i would register on the board and start my own topic.

well im a graphic designer /website and photographer. and im in desperate need for an good quality A3 printer. ive been searching the net for a couple of days now, but there are so many printers to choose from its just crazy. i have no idea what the best choice is for me.

could some please help me? i need the following

> A3 printer
> Low cost maintainance (ink) if possible
> High quality prints (graphics/text/photos)
> strong and reliable.

i have a maximum of 350 or USD$700, but would be lovely to see change.

Any suggestions please?

:cool:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Let's say: Canon's i9950 A3+ printer, if you can still find one since Canon stopped shipping these unchipped printers. Otherwise go for the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 (almost the same specs, except those irritating chipped cartridges). Or choose the Epson R2400 A3+ printer: uses pigment ink (fade resistant) and extremely accurate printing B/W pictures without a colour cast. Text printing is also very good due to the use of pigment ink (sharp and dark blacks)

For the Epson you can buy excellent and reliable CISS-systems using pigment ink. On the other hand: you can refill the chipped CLI-8 cartridges, but ink levels will be disabled so it's a bit annoying to check your ink levels every time before a big print job. Installing a CISS on a large format printer like the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 is doubtful and often unreliable because the biggest problem is to get a airtight seal with the grommets on which the cartridges are sitting on (causing air to leak in the system resulting into streaks and banding in your prints). The Canon i9950 is a excellent refiller and ink levels are shown after refilling, since it does not use chipped cartridges: you can refill or use cheap aftermarket carts on this terrific machine and will tell you accurately when the carts are empty and to be replaced.

All the printers mentioned excel in photo printing due to their 8 (Canon) or 9 (Epson) cartridges giving a superior gamut in photo printing. HP's new B9180 A3+ printer should also be very good, but I'm not sure you can buy refill those cartridges or purchase a CISS system for it (the system itself is actually CISS-based !!!).

blackandwhite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ohh i feel like a complete thicko. im just used to having a basic printer. i hadnt realised how technical printers had become. ive never heard of chipped, unchipped printers or CISS...

i just thought it was a case of getting a printer and getting ink cartidges and when the cartrides run out, buy some new ones. No?

sorry i dont mean to sound dumb:eek:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Epson R1800. While not technically as good as the R2400, still gives output anyone would be proud to display especially if gloss color is your preference.

With the R2400 and R1800, the chips are well known and resettable and also there are auto reset chips so you have two choices. Additionally, the waste ink tank mod and ink reset software is available to the user and easily implemented.

Just remember if you pick an Epson, you must print at least once or twice a week and don't keep it in a room with extremely low humidity levels.

Here's another site for checking printers out
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_15.html

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
blackandwhite said:
i just thought it was a case of getting a printer and getting ink cartidges and when the cartrides run out, buy some new ones. No?
You're part of the vast majority of the population that buys replacement OEM ink cartridges for their inkjet printers. That's exactly what the printer suppliers have in mind when they sell a printer - see the printer cheap, but make it up on the replacement ink. The difference is that you posted your question on a forum where a large number of participants use bulk ink and refill because of the enormous savings.

The advice on the printer models is still valid - just ignore the comments about chips, CIS, etc. They only apply when using bulk ink.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For your price range, the R2400 is too expensive. I think mikling is absolutely correct. The R1800 will be in your budget and produces excellent results. You did not mention how important is longevity to your prints, so I'm assuming if you are planning to sell prints, you should go with the R1800's longer-lasting pigmented inks. The Canon line of 13 x 19 printers also produces superb prints...but the prints will fade much sooner than Epson's pigmented inks.

Remember also that Epson printers work best if used frequently instead of sporadically. In any case, have fun!!!

blackandwhite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
blackandwhite said:
You're part of the vast majority of the population that buys replacement OEM ink cartridges for their inkjet printers. That's exactly what the printer suppliers have in mind when they sell a printer - see the printer cheap, but make it up on the replacement ink. The difference is that you posted your question on a forum where a large number of participants use bulk ink and refill because of the enormous savings.

The advice on the printer models is still valid - just ignore the comments about chips, CIS, etc. They only apply when using bulk ink.
thanks grandad. :D

but just for curiousity what is Bulk ink? if that is what creates enormous saving then that is what i would obviously prefer.

blackandwhite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
For your price range, the R2400 is too expensive. I think mikling is absolutely correct. The R1800 will be in your budget and produces excellent results. You did not mention how important is longevity to your prints, so I'm assuming if you are planning to sell prints, you should go with the R1800's longer-lasting pigmented inks. The Canon line of 13 x 19 printers also produces superb prints...but the prints will fade much sooner than Epson's pigmented inks.

Remember also that Epson printers work best if used frequently instead of sporadically. In any case, have fun!!!
Hi Manuchau

thanks for your helpful post also. the printer will be used mainly to print graphic designs that i can show clients. but also want to do more photography and sell prints to people at up to A3 size. So resolution needs to be perfect. i have a Nikon D50 SLR so the camera will take to great photos but need a printer to print them out at high res. this R1800 seems to be a nice choice.

Do you know how much it is typical for the cartridges and the refills please?

thank you for ur kind help

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
blackandwhite said:
but just for curiousity what is Bulk ink? if that is what creates enormous saving then that is what i would obviously prefer.
As an example, you can buy 8 oz. (approx 250 ml) of bulk ink for $13 (http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/products.php?category_id=267). This is enough to refill at least 20 cartridges, with a retail value of $12x20=$240. An 8x10 photo print uses about 0.7 ml of ink ($1 for Canon ink or $0.06 for bulk ink). If you only print infrequently, refilling isn't worth the trouble. You can do the math for your potential savings based on how much you will be printing.

If you are going to sell your prints, you should consider a printer that uses pigment based ink, not dye based ink (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/inkjet-fading.php).

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If you need 8 colour cartriges then go fot PIXMA Pro9000

Works very well out of the box if you don't want to make print profiles then canon's are much better with this model :)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...sional_Photo_Printers/Pixma_Pro9000/index.asp

Else try PIXMA iX4000

You can purchase wide gamut third party ink in 1 liter or galon bottles for example then make custom paper ink profile and it will be unbeatable in print quality and price ratio. It has 2pl micro nozzles so prints will be very good.

Consider something like iP6700D if you print A4 and maller prints because small prints are viewed very close compared to A3 and larger. This printer has 1pl micro nozzles and 6 ink system.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Bubble_Jet/Pixma_iX4000/index.asp