A Real Cool Upgrade to Improve your 3D Printing...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
So, I decided to try something...

I returned these hot-end fans that are "more quiet" but obviously less powerful and added a few resistors in-line with my OEM fan. They didn't seem to make much difference to overall air flow / pressure, but took the edge off of the high-pitched sounds.

No noticeable difference in print quality... but my prints vary so much as it is, it's hard to say for sure. Some day, I might just break down and replace the 40x10 fan with a bigger / quieter / more air-flow 40x20.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Startman are both of those fans considered squirrel cage fans or do they have a new name now days?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Startman are both of those fans considered squirrel cage fans or do they have a new name now days?
The high static fans I've used have not been typical squirrel cage fans. The high static pressure fans look quite similar to typical high CFM fans found in most computers but their fan blade architecture is different and causes airflow to be more concentrated and supposedly move air better around obstacles.

I use a 120 mm high static pressure fan for air intake from the front of my case to blow past/through the installed hard drives and an SSD. The 120 mm air exhaust on the back of the case is a high CFM fan.

Stuart21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L355, L1800
xspc-lcd-temperature-sensor-white-v2-6.gif

LCD Temperature Sensor

This fan or that fan is largely irrelevant. Just get one of these boys (a few $) & locate the sensor ACAP (As Close As Possible) to extruder, etc.

Then you can change fans till the cows come home, & if all else is the same, you can rate the fans performance, & also find best temp for each material.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
To check the best temperature for any given filament just print a temperature tower - takes a few mins and then you can see clearly the nozzle temp that gives the best finish.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
To check the best temperature for any given filament just print a temperature tower - takes a few mins and then you can see clearly the nozzle temp that gives the best finish.

I really should be doing more of these filament specific calibrations. I swap / change out colors and just assume they all print fine at 205... but that very much may not (probably isn't) the case.

DAMN my impatience and laziness!!!!!

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Do you drive everywhere in 3rd gear? :)

Latest posts