A Few 3D Reprints...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Are you sure they are bumble bees and not carpenter bees? From what I understand, bumble bees nest in the ground, and carpenter bees nest in holes (usually in wood).

We have problems with carpenter bees, and actually try to remove (kill) them from in and around our house.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Are you sure they are bumble bees and not carpenter bees? From what I understand, bumble bees nest in the ground, and carpenter bees nest in holes (usually in wood).
Yes I know that Bumble bees are prone to nesting under the ground, but also in tree trunks that have fallen, my intention is to place my hive very close to the ground, I got stung with my first attempt and most likely will again, but you can’t blame me for trying.
We have problems with carpenter bees, and actually try to remove (kill) them from in and around our house.
O’ and carpenter bees are as scarce as hens teeth, and are seldom even seen here, and may that continue.. I don’t think it’s warm enough for them..

We’ve also got the grey squirrel in one half of the country but not in the other.. Seems they can’t swim.. But we do have Herring Gulls in the suburban gardens, because their starving at sea.. All their food is just about gone..
Bees 1.jpg click to enlarge..
14 hours in and it’s starting to take shape, but it lifted a little bit on the right back corner but I can’t see that will be a problem, the print is covering the whole of the bed area and it’s as big as I can make it.. Some time to go yet..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
That's something I can't possibly print on the small bed (25x21cm) of my Prusa. I'd need to figure out a way to split it in three or four parts which should be assembled together later. Not easy and, anyway, I have no use for beehives, be it bumble, carpenter or whatsoever.

Not much birdlife in the small country town where I live now. Of course, the customary pigeons everywhere, which I try to keep away from my terrace in several ways, with passable success.
Wood pigeons on spring too, perching on top of the aerials. A few magpies looking for something to eat. A lonely seagull can be seen now and then. even if I'm 20km. away from the coast. I guess that food is scarce at sea too.
Swallows from mid May to beginning of July. They're nice to look at when chasing flies.
Oh , I almost forgot, starlings are a pest in winter around these parts. One year, people had to go outside carrying always an umbrella, to avoid the 'black rain' that the little bastards drop when flying in huge flocks like a plague of locust.
I said not much birdlife ?.. On second thoughts, too much of it ! :mad:

:p

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Talking about birdlife and 3D printing ?. How could I forget !

Meet my Maltese falcon, possibly the hugest bird in town. :D

falcó maltès.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I can't possibly print on the small bed (25x21cm) of my Prusa. I'd need to figure out a way to split it in three or four parts which should be assembled together later. Not easy
I find when working with prints that need to be assembled because they are too big to fit on my printer is that it’s very hard to make a suitable strong join that holds the pieces together properly.. Without glue..
Not much birdlife in the small country town where I live now. Of course, the customary pigeons everywhere, which I try to keep away from my terrace in several ways, with passable success.
One or two of these falcons, might keep the pigeons off your terrace, crank up the 3D printer and print them as tall as you can.. You can touch up theirs eye with a bit of yellow paint..
Oh , I almost forgot, starlings are a pest in winter around these parts.
We’ve just finished with the starlings for the year, they come here to nest and raise their young, my dog Ted loves them, his tally so far has been 8 this year, because they are inexperienced and are to slow to take to the air..

Talking about birdlife and 3D printing ?. How could I forget !
Meet my Maltese falcon, possibly the hugest bird in town.
Capture.JPG How about making something like this..
14 hours in and it’s starting to take shape,
Now 1 day and 19 hours in and this is as far as I’ve got, maybe another two days should see it finished, I’ll post the finished article then..
Bees nest 2.jpg click to enlarge

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Long before I started 3D printing I tried to keep the pigeons away installing a dummy falcon and later I added an owl, on the two corners of the terrace. They scared the pigeons .. for two weeks. After that, the birds realized that those were harmless dummies and took no further notice of them.
Now I use other systems: CDs hanging on a string or bands of metallized tape with a rainbow pattern.
Sun reflections seem to annoy the birds. All I have to do is a regular maintenance replacing broken strings, cracked
CDs and so on.
The owl and falcon are still there for ornamental purposes. The first falcon, 'flew away' during a windy night, never to be seen again. My fault; it wasn't properly fixed. The second falcon and the owl have survived winds of any kind, even a small tornado.

As you see in the photos, the falcon is just a cheapo hollow plastic toy and the paint is almost totally worn. Instead, the owl is really beautiful, made from a mixture of mashed stone and resin. The paint is UV resistent, so it hasn't faded like third party ink.

The brown PLA 'Maltese' falcon is not outside exposed to the weather. It sits on top of the printer to see that my Prusa behaves. No clogs, blobs of doom, spool jamming or any nonsense allowed !.

(click to enlarge)
falconetti2.jpgmussolini.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Now 1 day and 19 hours in and this is as far as I’ve got, maybe another two days should see it finished, I’ll post the finished article then..
Bees nest 2.jpg
Incredible!!!! I think my longest print was 8 hours, and that felt like FOREVER to me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think my longest print was 8 hours, and that felt like FOREVER
Like the farmer taking his pigs to market, he’d walk the pigs there and back every market day, and if he didn’t manage to sell any of them, he'd walk them back home again..

So one day a local man noticing this same procedure on every market day, said to the farmer, would you not consider moving the pigs by trailer to the market and save all the time it takes to walk there and back again..

And the farmer replied… Why, sure What’s time to a pig anyway..:)
It’s like making a good home brew.. the longer it takes the better the brew..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Updated Murphy law : the longer it takes, higher are the chances of failing..:D

I tend to avoid parts taking more than 10 hours because I hate leaving a job overnight. My subconscious awakes me several times during the night and I have to go there and check that everything is OK. :rolleyes:
Now I prefer models composed of multiple parts, to print leisurely a few hours each.

Last edited: