A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I don't know which is preferable A4 or a Pro100 for $99.

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark

I'ed take a PRO-100 for $US 99 AND A4. I'll also take day-month-year, or it's inverse, and liters and meters and all the rest of the ISO standards. But then I'm an engineer and I just abhor u.s. standards.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Even metres and litres?:) You would be popular over here! I am also a long since retired engineer.

I can remember back in the 1960/1970s when metrication was introduced, the "powers that be" required all new design drawings to be produced in millimetres instead of inches, including material gauges. Unfortunately there was a distinct lack of metric material about for years and many designs had to be switched back. But now we are almost exclusively metric, except that there are a lot of imperial measuring instruments still about and of course a lot of old brains (filled with conversion factors like 39.37inches to a metre) that think the old way. They changed our currency as well and we had to adjust to 100 pence in the pound instead of 240. But The Hat had to change to Euros as well!

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Back to work.
Quad.jpg

This is the set of four rendering intents of the same CM Argyll profile. It does show that perceptual has the "nicest" transition to black in the last few patches, in fact it does bear out the predictions in the Gamutvision B&W density curves, that will please RogerB!:)
Looking at the posted image there are shades of off grey which do not exist in the prints. The profile is producing some of the best B&W I have seen.

Further to the discussion on the ColorMunki ground clearance. I have measured the clearance with a set of feeler gauges and 12 thousandths of an inch just touches the CM and 10 thousandths is clear, so I don't think much light will get in there, however I have made up a black profiling mask and will redo the profile.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The stray light is not what you're thinking. According to the author of Argyll quoted

"
Hi,

the ColorMunki Spectro is a very good instrument given the price, but it is not quite as good nor as flexible as the i1pro.

It is not as convenient mechanically in scanning strips, and it's abilities are a bit limited in terms of it's response to short wavelengths and its permanent "UV Cut" characteristic. It also is not quite as good as the i1pro in accurately measuring very dark patches due to stray light being reflected by the aperture surround, and a degree of electrical interference between the LED driver and the spectrometer sensor.

Having said all that, it is still very suitable for enthusiast use, and (IMO) a better basic design than the Datacolor colored LED approach. The i1pro is a small but valuable step up in terms of accuracy and flexibility at much greater cost, with true 360 degree illumination, UV included measurement, less stray light, and no interference between the Lamp driver and the sensor, and therefore the professionals choice.

Graeme Gill.

"

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Mike for the quote.

I have now added a matt black slotted mask to my home made reader and recreated the 750patch profile. The images below show the GamutVision B&W Density charts for the white mask (7 March) and the black mask (11 March).

Mask White.png Mask Black.png

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Thanks Mike for the quote.

I have now added a matt black slotted mask to my home made reader and recreated the 750patch profile. The images below show the GamutVision B&W Density charts for the white mask (7 March) and the black mask (11 March).
Oh dear.....

Have you completely ruled out the possibility that it may be a characteristic of your printer/ink/paper combination? In other words, is Argyll trying to tell you something? What does the B&W response look like with no colour management?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Oh dear.....

Have you completely ruled out the possibility that it may be a characteristic of your printer/ink/paper combination? In other words, is Argyll trying to tell you something? What does the B&W response look like with no colour management?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There was no colour management in the generation of the profiles.

Latest posts