5C00 error on Canon Pixma MP500

jimmyg

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP500
Hello,

My Canon Pixma MP500 worked perfectly for the past fifteen years (not even a clogged printhead), but it starting displaying a 5C00 error this week. When I turn it on, it makes the usual (I think) start-up noises, and then its little display shows a 5C00 error code. When I lift the top, the printhead carriage does not move horizontally at all and the inktank LEDs do not light up.

I took off the top, manually moved the printhead carriage to the left, and cleaned off the ink from the wipers and square/rectangle pads, but that didn't help. Sometimes when I power it up, the wiper tray and the pads platform don't seem to cycle all the way--sometimes the pads platform remains depressed (instead of raised) and/or the wiper tray remains extended forward (instead of retracted back). I checked for jams and foreign objects that might be interferring with something, but don't see any obvious.

I'm not sure I want to fully take apart the printer to get underneath the printer / purge unit since that seems to require detaching various ribbons/cables, but my understanding is the 5C00 error has to do with the purge unit and perhaps some sensor (which I am unable to see or identify). Should I apply put some Windex or isopropyl alcohol on the pads, hoping that dissolves any clogs in the purge unit?

I did a search for 5C00 and read through those threads, but they don't seem to have a conclusive solution.

Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You are right. The 5C00 error is related to the purge unit. It is no easy task to get access to this part. A service manual which is found here and a parts catalog found here might be helpful.

Some MP500 had a waste ink tube that had been pinched by error at the assembling at the factory. After some use ink started leaking out of the printer. See this and this .

The MP500 belongs to the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation of printers. IMO this printer generation were Canon's best quality built printers for home use, so I think it is worth trying to save the printer if the printhead is still OK. Good luck with the repair job.

jimmyg

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP500
PeterBJ, thanks for the links! I hope my MP500 is fixable since it has been great until now.

Latest posts