3rd Party dye ink fade Test...!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I wouldn’t for a moment ever think of selling prints made with 3rd party inks, that would be fool hardy, because pigment inks are essential for any commercial venture...

For albums dye ink works good !

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Apparently Mark McCormac's long awaited report on the PC inkset for the Pro100 is imminent.

Can't remember where I saw the news. Either from one of J. Toolman's excellent video chats, or a posting from MarK himself.

rs

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
@The Hat this is the first time I've really had the chance to have a good look at your results can you please tell me how well the glossy photo paper did for it looks to me that there was very little fading.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
it looks to me that there was very little fading.
This test is still ongoing, I plan to show the same 3 test sheets again in a about 3 weeks, so there will be a lot more fading on them, of the 3 types of paper tested, there is far less fading on the glossy photo paper, but time will tell all...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the up-date that I promised, now it’s the 21 July.

As you can see the uncoated glossy paper is holding up well, but the laminated sheet has over-taken it and is fading much faster.

There is not that much difference in the premium copy paper, however the naked paper has a bit of on edge on the laminate.

The matte photo paper is showing very little different in protection when laminated compared to the naked paper.

The plain cheap copy paper varies quite a bit, on some colours the lamination afforded better protection, while on others it didn’t.

I’ll stick the two sheets back out again for another couple of months and see how they get on, more later..
July Test.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat - great post. Easy to understand and compare. A picture does is worth a thousand words, or 90 words in your case.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
What is the lamination process? It seems, to me, that it is affecting the inks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I must admit I expected more fade protection by the lamination of the prints, the test is very interesting and shows the significant impact of the paper type. I'm still unclear about the combined effects of UV and ozone, how to separate them to judge their effects individually