3D steps in How to make a new Ball..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My little grandson lost his little ball that he plays with, and doesn’t understand when the balls lost it’s gone but it doesn’t sink in what that means, he’s a special kid that’s a bit slow and has ADHD.

So I was asked if I could make a new ball for him from the photo on the box but I didn’t quite know how to go about it, so I came up with this one this morning, it’s almost exactly the same and he didn’t notice the difference.

In case it happens again I make him an extra one as a spare.. The ball is just a bit bigger than a Golf Ball.. 45 mm Dia..

Isn’t 3D printing special when you can make a little guy very very happy again.. :hugs
ball 1.jpg ball 2.jpg Click to enlarge..

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good job, grandpa! :thumbsup

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Well done @The Hat.:)

That ball must be tricky to print. Did you use rafts or supports ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you mind if I borrow your idea ?. I think that my grand nephews will like this ball.
Probably flexible filament is the best material for a design like that because it won't break and it will bounce a bit if dropped. I suspect though that it would very, very difficult to print it wjthout supports and even with them.
Until now I've tried one flexible filament and no much success. Only very small objects print OK. If I try something taller than 10-15mm. it starts to become spongy and you go nowhere. Maybe I could print sponges for inkjet carts. :D

I know, I know.. you folks told me to stay with PLA or PETg :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I know, I know.. you folks told me to stay with PLA or PETg
I have never used flexible filament so I don’t know how it preforms, but when I was printing this ball I slowed the printer right down and that worked without support, the only drawback I can see when using support, you won’t be able to remove it afterwards.

The ball can be made any size you wish by adjusting the X, Y, Z in your slicer before saving as Gcode… from say 10mm to 300mm.. If you want the SCAD file just ask..

P.S. what I love about 3D printers, you don’t have to run cleaning cycles or nozzle checks before using, just make sure you have the right colour filament loaded before you start.. I hadn’t used this printer in the past 10 tens day and it just started up without a bother..:)

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• New Ball.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 406
Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the file.:)

Yesterday I designed my version of the ball in Openscad. Not easy, as you said. Comparing both versions, yours has more holes and they’re smaller than mine. Your ball has an original diameter of 45.7, and mine is 60mm. with 2.5mm. walls. If I downscale it to 45mm, to match your ball, the walls become barely 2mm. A bit too thin for PLA ?.

Currently I’m using PLA+ from Sunlu and eSun which have been quite good, so far. No entangled threads in the spool and overall nice quality. eSun seems to be more prone to stringing, but I think they’re both good value at 20-22€ for 1Kg.
PLA+ is a tad more flexible and less brittle than the plain PLA that came with my printer. Let’s see how this ball stands the abuse..

Attachments

• ball hat.rar
    2.3 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yesterday I designed my version of the ball in Openscad. Not easy
I downloaded the ball file you provided thanks you. And looking at it really surprised me. You’ve only just started in 3D kindergarten and this ball is truly great, it took me ages to figure out how to make my ball, so I reckon you’re a natural at 3D design, Congratulations.

P.S. Now when are you going to get your second 3D printer…:lol:
balls.JPG Click to enlarge..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I appreciate your kind words, but there's nothing to write home about in my ball. I just followed your idea.

I'll purchase my second 3D printer the day after @stratman gets his first one. :p

Update :
Ball printed and it bounces nicely on hard floors.
Lifespan is another matter.. :rolleyes: