3D Printing Best Modeling / Creation Software?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok, I'm SUPER new to this and from what I understand is before I print a piece, I need to slice it (using something like Cura)... but before I slice it, I need to create it (if I'm not getting an already created design).

So, what creation / modeling software do people suggest? I see a lot about Fusion360, but it's not cheap.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Firstly @Nifty, welcome to your great forum, :frow on the micro card that comes with the printer there are a few Apps. that will help you get started, one is called CURA and the other is RepetierHost, now that you have the printer and filament, everything is free from now on... (O’ you might need a Pritt stick)

With these two Apps, you have the ability to start making your first printed model that you may have down-loaded from the various website that have these ready-made models.

When you decide to start making up your own gadgets, you can use the same App that I use, its freeware so there are no copyright issues, it’s called SCAD and you can download it from the web site below...

http://www.openscad.org/
Have fun, I know I do.. :ya
P.S. If I could only get @stratman to save a couple of pennies a week, so he too could enjoy this fascinating printer...:hugs

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok, wow! So CURA and Repetier Host basically do the same thing (i.e., prep the item for printing)?

OpenSCAD seems way too technical / code based for my liking. :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Firstly @Nifty, welcome to your great forum, :frow
If that doesn't make you chuckle then check for a pulse. :)

Welcome to the forum, Nifty. Plenty of helpful folks around, except for 3D printers where it's The Hat and YOU! :D

P.S. If I could only get @stratman to save a couple of pennies a week
At that rate it will only take me 10,000 weeks to save up for Nifty's model, sans tax and shipping. Hopefully they'll drop the price before then and I can get one right before I go into the old folk's home.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There is a gaggle of Canadian geese 3 doors down that live at the creek. They are always walking about the yards, sometimes on the roofs of houses like living weather vanes.

The only chickens around that I know of are in my freezer. I grill them with loving care. :D

PS - thanks for the second Tinkercad video. I saved it for when I have insomnia. ;)

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, tinkercad is pretty awesome! I don't know that I'll be creating any crazy complex stuff with it, but for a free-to-use online tool, I'm pretty impressed.

What's cool is they have some really good tutorials to walk you through how to use the basic tools. I'm going to have my girls go through them and design some stuff!!!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm going to have my girls go through them and design some stuff!!!
Are you sure your name isn't Bosley?!?

Doyle.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OpenSCAD seems way too technical / code based for my liking. :(
I taught that too till I tried it, the more I use it the better I understand it, I started with the video tutorials and copied some of their work into mine just to get me started, but soon found I did need the trainer wheels and could ride the bike myself.

There are still lots of shapes and objects that I don’t understand or can’t do yet but that just makes me determent to even learn more, they do supply cheat sheets and you can print them out for better understanding..