3D Printing Best Modeling / Creation Software?

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
OpenSCAD is particularly good if you have some experience in programming, and suits my needs well. I pointed @The Hat in that direction and he has taken to it like a duck to water! Tinkercad is a good alternative. You might also want to look at Freecad, which is a bit more comprehensive but less easy to use. If you're very artistic and want to produce more "organic" shapes, and are prepared to spend time learning, then something like Blender will do the job.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
So far, I'm really enjoying Tinkercad! It seems to do everything (basic) that I need without the maths ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, Tinkercad is super easy to learn / use, but it's super limited in what it can do. For example, I can't even measure the distance between two points in the model... super frustrating!

So, I just downloaded Fusion 360 which is "Free for students, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and startups".

Wish me luck!!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tinkercad is super easy to learn
I was looking to have a go at Tinkercad, but I didn’t like the idea that I must register with them first before I can download, I am always suspicious of sites that do that, are they selling or passing on your details...:idunno

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ya, I often have similar worry, but I weigh the risk / reward, and in this case (especially since it's a big-brand company that doesn't want to upset it's high-end users) I think it's more than worth it!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Learn Fusion 360. It appears to be the settled and well trodden path.

Latest posts