3D Printers - Manufacturers and Models - Recommendations & Suggestions

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
Anyway, even if it doesn't work out, I'll still have enjoyed putting it together, and at this price it won't be the end of the world if I can't use it.
I'm sure it will work out fine. But when you want to move on to something better, you can reuse most of the main parts (motors, electronics, hotend, etc), after having printed the plastic parts, plus some extra stuff (mainly aluminium extrusions, nuts & bolts, etc) to build something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1752766

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
Thanks. It would be nice to recycle something for my own benefit rather than handing it over to the council to do it.

BlueToBits

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 7500 & 1102W, CTC 3D,
Hi guys. I'm new here but have been into 3D printing quite a while now. I bought an grey import CTC Flashforge/Makerbot dual head Chinese clone) from 'you know where' when they were twice the price they are now. It took me about 6 months and several bin loads of 'spaghetti' before I could get decent fairly reliable prints. I find PLA is the most forgiving, but tend to use ABS mostly. I use Sketchup for design because I was already familiar with it and the free Makerbot desktop slicer because at the time it was either that, or wrestling with G-code. It's about time I 'upgraded' but it does what I want it to, which is printing parts for my own project designs.
These parts are nothing to write home about, things like circuit board holders, component mounts, connector panels, clips, spacers, and replacement parts for household appliances. I gave up trying to print large equipment boxes as I found that printing things with long straight thin walls had a 90% failure rate due to warping or loss of integrity due to weak layer adhesion and extruder issues. I have a broken door bell push sitting on my bench staring at me so this will be this afternoon's project. Yes - I could buy one, but where's the fun in that?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey @BlueToBits, great to have you here!!!

It took me about 6 months and several bin loads of 'spaghetti' before I could get decent fairly reliable prints.
:epYou have the patience of a saint! Great job sticking with it!!

I find PLA is the most forgiving, but tend to use ABS mostly.
I'm still VERY new to all this (only about a week in), so I'm sticking with PLA until I have a really high success rate with all my printing.

things like circuit board holders, component mounts, connector panels, clips, spacers, and replacement parts for household appliances
That's EXACTLY the type of stuff I'm interested in printing and will help with all my Nifty-Stuff projects ;)

Yes - I could buy one, but where's the fun in that?
Ya, that's about 99.9918% of my prints ;)

Again, great to have you here and looking forward to more of your posts!