3D Printed Pegboard Clips, Holders, Hooks, Parts, Etc.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Recently, I decided to completely redo the wall above my workbench in my garage. I took down a cabinet and horrible tool-rack and installed pegboard from Home Depot.

Of course, I could have purchased a bunch of pegboard hooks, etc., but what fun would that be.

Next thing I knew, I was spending an inordinate amount of time designing and printing a myriad of pegboard parts for everything I could imagine. Seriously, I spent like 3 days straight designing and printing stuff!
:hide

Here's where things ended up:
gararge-3d-print-pegboard-wall.jpg

I started out using this thing directly and/or their parts that went into the wall as templates that I then modified in Tinkercad: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2125427

About 1/4 way through my project, I discovered this thing... well, it's actually a HUGE set of amazing pegboard bits that can be configured in a ton of different ways. One of my favorites was the driver/drill holder:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2108670

3D-print-pegboard-drill-holder.jpg

It's really unfortunate that there aren't more pictures and details in the item description for that thing because it's pretty much the best set of pegboard items out there, and they were GREAT foundations for a bunch of other stuff I built / created!

Here are a few examples of stuff I made off of the clips in that thing:

Small cup holder (drillbit container)
3D-print-pegboard-cup-holder.jpg
Allen wrench
3D-print-pegboard-allen-wrench.jpg
Socket holder
3D-print-pegboard-socket-wrench.jpg

Flashlight holder (smaller version with a bottom for a voltage detector)
3D-print-pegboard-flashlight-holder.jpg

One of the most fun / fulfilling prints was this tape measure holder that I printed in white, then printed the letters in black and insert them into the voids:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1394157
3D-print-pegboard-tape.jpg

I had experimented with a lot of different pegboard items on Thingiverse (you can see them in my "liked" items here), but some of them required supports (which I avoid) and some printed in an orientation that wasn't ideal... like the layer lines were in a way that didn't provide enough strength, so if I pulled too hard on the pegboard item, it would separate at the layer.

I'm debating if it's worth it to post a bunch of the custom items stl's I created on Thingiverse or not. I mean, I'm not really that great at designing stuff and am reluctant to put stuff out there that isn't nearly as good as most stuff posted.

... but overall I'm SUPER happy with how this whole project turned out (even if it took 5,000 x longer than if I had just bought pegboard clips), and am really proud of how customized and perfectly-fitting everything is!

OH!... and a HUGE unexpected bonus of this project: I have drawers and drawers of tools... most handed down from my dad. Having my most important items on the wall, where I can see them, and a specific place for each item, made it MUCH easier for my hoarder brain to get rid of extra stuff (duplicates and stuff I don't use). Here's a pile of tools I'm getting rid of as a result of this pegboard project!!

upload_2018-11-7_19-1-56.png

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Wow. Great job! You are maximizing the use of available space well. :thumbsup

I like the tape measure holder a lot, too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Next thing I knew, I was spending an inordinate amount of time designing and printing a myriad of pegboard parts for everything I could imagine. Seriously, I spent like 3 days straight designing and printing stuff!
And I taught I was mad spending hours on end designing things just for my satisfaction, it’s great to see others are also as crazy as I am.. :ya

These 3D printers are truly all inspiring things, think about it, you can buy the same Feckin items in the market but no, you’d sooner spend hours making something a bit better and then be very proud of your latest achievement.

@Nifty you can post up your STL files, because I personally know the Moderator here and he won’t object one tiny bit, in fact himself might find use for some of your designs. :D

My bench wall is covered in some tools that my son put together using nails 20 years ago, it’s not as fancy as your but I’d swear I’ve seen some of my missing Feckin tools on your wall.:eek:
Untitled-1.jpg click to enlarge..
I reckon if this thread doesn’t inspire others to get into 3D printing then nothing will, @stratman can say he doesn’t need a 3D printer for now because he doesn’t have that amount of tools, but he knows he wants one, and reluctance is all that’s stopping him.. :hugs

Come guys Black Friday is approaching and I am sure there are great 3D bargains to be had, just go for it and it will open a whole new world you never knew existed..
Great post @Nifty..:thumbsup

P.S. some of those lump hammers are worth saving...:old

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm saving up me punts for more tools so I need to hang a pegboard in order to buy a 3D printer to make pegs. Perfect whiskey logic! :thumbsup :gig

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks for the great comments guys!!

@Nifty you can post up your STL files, because I personally know the Moderator here and he won’t object one tiny bit, in fact himself might find use for some of your designs. :D
LOL! I meant posting them on Thingiverse ;)

P.S. some of those lump hammers are worth saving...
No, don't ever discourage me from getting rid of anything. I need to work against my hoarding parent's ways! Also, pretty much everything I'm getting rid of has a better duplicate that is either on the wall or in a drawer. ;)