3D Printed Cam Lock Lever Latch On Filebox

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've had this folding file box for like 20+ years, and I'm pretty sure it belonged to my mom before that.

One latch broke about 15 years ago, so I used it gently with just one latch... but then it broke about 7 years ago. I've been using it without a latching lid since then, which stinks because that makes the top-lid handle totally useless. Now it's fixed!!

3d-filebox-latch-1.jpg

I found this remixed thing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2282273

I really like the lever parts, but the arm is pretty terrible and wouldn't work for my application, so into Tinkercad I went to make this:

upload_2018-7-8_13-12-1.png

The best part is that I didn't need to print / use the clip part of the thing. I was able to use the existing "bar" on the box (part of the broken clasp) to have the arm grab onto. I had to design the end of the arm to be thin enough to fit into the thin clip area of the box.

3d-filebox-latch-2.jpg

Initially during testing I used pieces of filament to fasten everything together. It was quick and easy for testing... but then I thought "wow, this actually feels pretty solid, I think I'm going to just use this!"

I had filament extent about 2mm, melted it, then used a piece of metal to flatten the ends flush and bigger than the holes. Worked GREAT!

I don't know how well they will hold up once I get a bunch of weight in there, but I thought it would be worth a try. The weight will be distributed pretty well between many different points, so I think it will work.

I was also wondering about using PLA in general because everyone talks about how not-strong it is... and they move to ABS or PETG... but all the bits (levers, arm, etc.) seemed more than strong enough to me... and that's with only 3 walls and 20% infill.

3d-filebox-latch-4.jpg

The latch secures so perfectly, I love it!

3d-filebox-latch-3.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The latch secures so perfectly, I love it!
This is one of the reasons why I keep on suggesting that 3D printers are more than just a play toy, and @Nifty has clearly have shown how they saved his most loved toolbox...:weee
I once taught they couldn’t do anything useful, “Mea Culpa”:hu

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sweet success! Congratulations, Rob. :clap

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks guys... definitely one of my most rewarding projects!