3880 carts not recognised/ all flashing empty

Roshaw7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm having seroius troubles with my re-fillable system and I'm hoping some of you can help.
So, I decided to jump into the refillable cart game, and purchased a set of the small 3880 refillables, from Australian company inkbank.com.au (http://www.inkbank.com.au/category2_1.htm) ...similar to the carts sold by inkjetmall and inkjetfly (but half the price) ,with exactly the same (labels at least) to the carts reviewed by pharmacist in post #150 here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746&p=15

Unfortunately, after destroying all my original carts to syphon the ink out, my printer is having problems recognising the refillabe carts . I removed all the chips from my original Epson carts, and installed them under the refillable chips. At first (after taking out and reinstalling twice) the carts were recognised, but almost immediately, the yellow cart was flashing as empty in the digital display. I then took out the the yellow and re-inserted, but then all the carts were flashing as empty (readout says 'NO INK CARTRIDGE' with all carts flashing).

Because the original Epson yellow cart was the only one that was registered as empty before I installed the refillables, and because I had read that a chip that reaches empty might not work with some refillable cartridges, I decided to purchase a new Epson yellow cart, and replace the chip. Unfortunately, that didn't work, and no matter how many times I re-install all the cartridges, or restart the printer, all the carts still flash as empty.

If anybody might have any trouble-shooting tips or solutions to get my printer to recognise the cartridges I'd appreciate it, as I have now invested a lot of money in the refillable carts themselves, in new inks and in the new epson yellow cartridge (and I have urgent print orders to get through!)

Thanks,
Ronan

Roshaw7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No one have any advice on this? I've cleaned all the contacts, taped the chips, still not recognised. The only other thing I can think of would be to re-load a set of Original epson carts, have them recognised, and then try to reinstall refillables, but that would mean buying a whole new set, minus the yellow...

I'm sure there must be similar experiences out there? No? :/

Roshaw7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok. I finally got it to work. For those also having this problem, the solution is to reset the printer. I found the solution on inkjetmalls installation instructions for their similar carts

Cartridges unrecognized: If your printer displays empty cartridge boxes on the LCD or other strange errors, the printer can
be reset as follows. Open the cartridge bay door and unlock all nine carts, then slide out the waste ink tank and turn the
printer power off for at least 3 minutes. When the printer is turned back on, the LCD will display NO maintenance tank.
Slide the waste ink tank back into the printer and close the waste tank door. The LCD should now display NO ink cartridge.
Push cartridges snugly into the printer from left to right (1 to 9), then lift up on the bottom/rear of all carts to ensure they are
even. The LCD should now display Cartridge door open, close the cartridge bay door and the printer should pressurize
cartridges then display Ready on the LCD panel.

supah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 3880
I just wanted to thank you for this solution! Yes it's 10 years later! For whatever reason my light light black wasn't detected. I am grateful - thank you so much! ha!

Jdub-216

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson stylus pro 3880
Did not work for me I'm still searching for a solution.