2 X Officejet 4500 reads "Print cartridge(s) missing or not detected : (tri-color, black)."

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
These cartridges worked some months ago. Since then I've just kept them taped at the bottom with scotch tape.

Both printers tested fine with these back then. What happened after all this time? Do they just die like that or could there be an issue with my printers? Is there any way to revive these cartridges(hp 901). I tried soaking the bottoms in alcohol and cleaning the contacts on them and in the printers. Any ideas? Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These cartridges worked some months ago.
Why the Feck don’t you just do what everybody else does and Google your question, that way you won’t offend anyone here… What part of I don’t get it… That I don’t get… :caf

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Why the Feck don’t you just do what everybody else does and Google your question, that way you won’t offend anyone here… What part of I don’t get it… That I don’t get… :caf
Well my question didn't seem like a simple and popular one suitable for search engines.

"what part of I don't get it.."? Huh?

Don't be offended. C'mon. So you look like you got experience with these cartridges. Since I've got two printers responding the same it's probably the cartridges. Do they tend to just die like this or is there some industry trick like juggle them for five minutes or dip them in chicken soup that will get the printers to recognize them you know of?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Scotchtape might or might not have damaged some nozzles, but the cartridges being rejected or not detected is an electronic error, that you cannot clean away. Only new cartridges will clear the error. You might be lucky though that the error is caused by dirty contacts on the cartridge. You could try wiping the contacts with a paper towel moistened with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner.

These cartridges seem to be fragile. I have refilled HP combined printhead/sponge cartridges and sometimes they didn't print perfectly after refill, so I removed them to try cleaning and priming them. After the cleaning I reinstalled the cartridges and they were rejected/ not recognised.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
The Scotchtape might or might not have damaged some nozzles, but the cartridges being rejected or not detected is an electronic error, that you cannot clean away. Only new cartridges will clear the error. You might be lucky though that the error is caused by dirty contacts on the cartridge. You could try wiping the contacts with a paper towel moistened with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner.

These cartridges seem to be fragile. I have refilled HP combined printhead/sponge cartridges and sometimes they didn't print perfectly after refill, so I removed them to try cleaning and priming them. After the cleaning I reinstalled the cartridges and they were rejected/ not recognised.
Thanks! So... Don't know how I'm suddenly so bold... So this is normal then. I think I've had them in the past do this too, can't say for sure. I already did clean them and the contacts in the printers too. Okay, just checking to see if there were other tricks I could try as these cartridges ain't cheap.