160 ml cartridges for 3880

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Sometimes I have difficulties resetting chips when using reloaded OEM cartridges in my pro 3880.

I have a set of larger refillable cartridges, se enclosed photo, but I am uncertain about drawbacks.
José R claims they can cause trouble when the level is low, because of the large amount of air (elastic), giving
the air pump a harder life.

Do anyone have experience from using those 160 ml carts?

Attachments

• IMG_20211228_181700443.jpg
    IMG_20211228_181700443.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 118

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I have used this cartridges before and actually: only the versions that has a one way pressure system will work OK, that is: when the cartridge is pressurized and you shut down the printer and you try to open the cartridge there must be pressure inside the the cartridge (a sizzing sound from escaping air from the cartridge). Some cartridges will loose their pressure immediately when you shut down the printer: these are to be avoided. It can give sytem errors prompting you to restart the printer to ensure enough air inside the cartridges to function. As yo can see in my avatar picture: these are the refillable cartridges from inkrepublic.com and they function well even when the cartridges are low.

Last edited:

Kjell-Anders

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Many thanks for sharing your experiences!

Yes, fortunately my cartridges keep the pressure very well, for hours when I try with a little air in emty ones. They have a one way valve at the air intake and some sort of spring loaded pressure valve at the ink port. Maybee some ink will be pushed through the print head when the printer is closed.
I guess that I have to prime the cartridges at the ink port before using them.

Is there any risk of ink spray when I open the filling plug at the top? Maybee it´s best to wait until the pressure has gone and hold a cloth over the plug when opening.
I intend to build a small cabinet to cover the array of cartridges, preventing light reaching them and the ink. It will be quite easy so build and very easy to open for checking ink levels.

I´ll update this thread when I have installed the new components. But I have a plastered right hand after an accident while skating, so it´s adviceable to be a little patient. We have had wonderful lake ices for a while, but now there has come snow which has worsened the conditions. So I'm waiting for my hand to heal and for the ices to get well again. And for trying out the new cartridges, of course...

Last edited: