zczink CIS any info?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Have anyone heard of zczink CIS systems?

www.zczink.com Their site is non english that makes diffucult to understand but seems advanced stuff :)

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
WOW!

I'm glad all I'm into is drilling holes in carts and using syringes and glue guns / blue tack / screws on my printers.

From what I can see they are offering a box of tricks with 12 ink reserviours which can be used to hold up to 12 individual ink colours, or down to 3 sets of 4 colours. The box basically tells you when you are running out of a particular colour.

Which is an expensive replacement for your eyes.

What we don't know is how it performs in reality, and this means how it copes with keeping the ink flowing and dealing with air bubbles and stuff.

Advanced yes, but is it advanced meaning reliable, or advanced meaning more to go wrong?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OK71brEfkO4&feature=related

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Smile,

Efillink.com is selling these CISS system for Epson printers. These CISS-systems are considered much better than those el cheapo CISS bottles made of poor quality plastic.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Been looking at a number of the videos of this system on youtube, looks pretty good.*

$538 for the kit? thats about 330 as of today, so I guess you need to be pretty serious about printing to need to buy one.

*It's got flashing lights, I'm sold. ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
These kits are available elsewhere and they are being discussed in some circles.

Personally I don't rate something that requires another battery or USB connection to warn you that ink is running low, especially when it's so expensive. From what I can see of the incredibly bad English (I think that was the intended language) Youtube video it's also supposed to handle air pressure in a different way but that's purely guesswork based on vague graphics.

But to come back around to the point here:
1. Epson printers are some of the most forgiving when it comes to air pressure and ink
2. Epson printers have a much better interface between the ink receivers and the cartridges removing the numero uno problem with CIS kits (air leaks).
3. If you can't be bothered to check your ink levels on a regular basis then you should paid hundreds of Pounds/Euros/Dollars, etc... for a box to do it for you.

Nuff said I feel ;)

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
websnail said:
But to come back around to the point here:
1. Epson printers are some of the most forgiving when it comes to air pressure and ink
2. Epson printers have a much better interface between the ink receivers and the cartridges removing the numero uno problem with CIS kits (air leaks).
3. If you can't be bothered to check your ink levels on a regular basis then you should paid hundreds of Pounds/Euros/Dollars, etc... for a box to do it for you.

Nuff said I feel ;)
1) Actually Epson went though a lot of bother and effort to design their cartridges so that not only are they difficult to refill, but so they provide consistent flow regardless of how full they are. I'll agree, they will operate under a wide range of conditions than thermal based printers, but I must submit that consistent flow is something that would affect image quality. I've experienced overflow my self, as in ink leaking while not in operation, perhaps that's the purpose of the magnet, to sense operation and open the valve? If so then it would only function if you're printing things wider than 4.25 inches, or there and abouts.

2) This is true, however a common complaint is maintaining the balance between flow and overflow.

3) While I agree clear tanks makes it painfully easy to examine your current ink levels, there is a technical advantage to keeping your ink out of sunlight.

That being said, epson CIS systems range in price from $40 to $300.

Hell, even this unit priced at $120
http://www.macroenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CIS-EP-RX585-E28-E46&click=7571
is really the same unit priced at $50 from another dealer. $35 without ink.

http://www.supersmartelectronics.com/servlet/the-47/Continuous-Bulk-ink-CIS/Detail
http://www.supersmartelectronics.com/servlet/the-11/Empty-Continuous-bulk-ink/Detail

[$300 unit]
264388.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264388-REG/Lyson_BFS1280FT_Continuous_Ink_System_with.html

Granted the Lyson CIS system comes with 4oz x 6 of Fotonic Photo Ink, which I believe is valued at about $100, but still that is like $200 for the damn CIS system, and the damn CIS system looks like a repurposed epson cartridge with tubes attached to it.

But given the "value" of a known working CIS system is about $100-$150 from a known reseller, I can imagine spending that much for such a unit that offers pumps, valves, bells and beeps.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0BZ0ThJMN0

Righto, this is a video showing the instructions for this CIS unit. It looks like there is no pump. Installing the CIS requires the user to suck ink into the empty cartridges. OK fine. Batteries need to be installed for the low ink monitor. Ok great.

They make no reference to the magnet here. So if these units don't employ pumps or anything more complex than gravity feed, well, I can't imagine any reason to spend $500 on it, which seems to be the price for this unit. Perhaps $200 for something with a valve that will cut off the ink supply when not in use.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
IGExpandingPanda said:
1) Actually Epson went though a lot of bother and effort to design their cartridges so that not only are they difficult to refill, but so they provide consistent flow regardless of how full they are. I'll agree, they will operate under a wide range of conditions than thermal based printers, but I must submit that consistent flow is something that would affect image quality.
Agreed... I was however referring to the aftermarket carts available in various places.

I've experienced overflow my self, as in ink leaking while not in operation
Me also, although in my case it was down to the location of the ink and the use of a waste ink tank which was too low causing a syphon. The rules of keeping the ink level below the printhead still apply, especially if your CIS has spongeless cartridges in it.

perhaps that's the purpose of the magnet, to sense operation and open the valve? If so then it would only function if you're printing things wider than 4.25 inches, or there and abouts.
Magnet? Where did it say anything about a magnet? I must have missed something.

2) This is true, however a common complaint is maintaining the balance between flow and overflow.
Yes, as above but the problem usually relates to the overuse of spongeless cartridges (as noted above) as they have no buffer to reduce the syphon effect.

3) While I agree clear tanks makes it painfully easy to examine your current ink levels, there is a technical advantage to keeping your ink out of sunlight.
True but I suspect most people have their printers in artificial light as working with a computer is generally not so easy with bright sunlight streaming in. Light as a rule does degrade the ink so I agree there but for $300 I can stick a box over the kits and look every few days ;)

That being said, epson CIS systems range in price from $40 to $300.

Hell, even this unit priced at $120
http://www.macroenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CIS-EP-RX585-E28-E46&click=7571
is really the same unit priced at $50 from another dealer. $35 without ink.
Yeah... with the poor English thrown in I suspect it's a bit of a sleight of hand attempt to get some more cash out of folks who assume more expensive = better quality.

Be interesting to see :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just had a bit more of a look at the differences on the efillink and zczink.com sites and they are NOT the same kits at all.

The efillink has no level indicator to the same extent as the zczink.com unit so it's entirely possible the comparison there is unfair. Unfortunately the whole zczink.com kit is so badly labelled and the video grainy to the point of obscurity that it's just not possible to see or understand more at this point.

EDIT: Just to confirm... the zczink.com is indeed a completely different animal and it does indeed look like a magnet is involved.
http://www.zczink.com/epson-R800.html

I'm pretty sure a contact of mine was looking at something like this a ways back so I'll ask...

Just as an aside though.. am I the only one who thinks the connectors for plugging the ink tubes into the reservoir system is a little on the small side. Pigment inks might have some issues with the inner diameter from where I'm sitting... Just a niggle.