Yet another thread on the German refill method

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have been using the German method with great sucess for the last year or so, but lately several carts leaked a little ink out of the hole I made for the German method. This surprised me as I have used the same carts at least 6 time with no previous problems.
My conclusion now is that I overfilled them, trying to squeeze in the last drop of ink for no real reason other than I could! I removed some ink and dried off the carts and it seems they are now OK, so at the moment I think overfilling has been the cause of the leak.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Redbrickman Yes I have had a similar event which I try to avoid but NOT completely filling the cart. I refilled some 521 ones last week and the cyan started leaking ink out of the refill hole as soon as I started to squeeze the bottle. I never got if filled more than 50%, so gave up filled another one same needle same ink no problem.

This refilling goes like a charm for a while,and just when you think you have cracked it, something comes and bites you.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I can't comment on the 520/521carts but I I have refilled my BCi & CLi carts over and over again using the German method with squeezy bottles. I no longer replace the carts, I just refill them. I used to keep refilled (with syringes) carts ready for replacement but now with the squeezy bottles I just keep refilling the same carts.

I think the secret is to not overfill the carts. However, I'm hoping that it will be a long time before I have to deal with the 520/521 carts as I would be refilling at twice the rate I do now. I think the German refilling method is the best thing that ever happened for cartridge refilling and there is no way that I would ever return to top filling again with the constant worry that the refilling hole is sealed properly.

However, as I have said I have no experience of the Canon rip off 520/521 carts.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
agreed re the german method, w squeeze bottles and remove/refill/replace cart approach.

in nearly 4 years i have over 300 refills, my four CLI8's are orig, 4 years old. each CLI8 has been refilled approx 40 times. they keep going and going....

got to believe the reason why my CLI8's have lasted so long is that i bought not one but two spares of each color 4 years ago. all 8 spare CLI8 carts are just collecting dust and that's OK.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
For you guys having trouble with the german method and ink coming out the refill hole. Keep in mind that the vent on the top of cartridge must be kept open and clear. When you are injecting ink into the cartridge the displaced air must have place to go. If the vent is blocked then in effect you are slightly pressuring the cart. When the needle is removed the air that wants to get out finds the fill whole and brings a few drops of ink with it. If you ever overfill a cartridge there is a good chance that some ink will be forced up into the vent maze which could then plug it when it dries. I refill many many of these carts for myself and several friends. When ever I have this problem it is usually due to a clogged vent.
Using squeeze bottles is a real help when filling these things as you dont have to clean the syringe. I made covers for all my squeeze bottle needles out of electrical shrink wrap. I was able to find red - yellow - blue - and black for each of the colors. They are about 1 1/2 -- 2" long. All I do when done refilling is wipe the needle with a paper towel and put the cover on the needle. Oh and seal the top end of the shrink wrap by dipping it into a candle flame until it melts.
If you want as extra insurance you can use aluminum tape to seal the fill holes from the german method. I use a whole punch about a 1/4" dia. to make my little discs. Then just peel and stick and use you finger nail to press them down real good. You can tell if you have a good seal by being able to see the hole imprint thru the alum. tape. If I am going to seal them I usually let them set for a few hours after refilling and then apply the tape.
As far as damaging the sponge with the needle, Once you have inserted the needle once or twice you should be able to find the same hole each time thereafter when refilling. Just make sure you are inserting the needle straight and at approximately the same angle each time. It would take a lot of holes before you would damage the sponge. You really arnt removing any material so when the needle is removed the sponge immediately fills the hole.

So thats my story and Im stickin to it.:cool::)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pearlhouse
You also forgot to mention that a small gauge needle is much better to use with the German Method
because it gives more time for the air vent to react to the increase in pressure inside the cartridge.

Slower injection of ink is easier to achieve when using 20 or 22 gauge needles and I would have to agree
that SquEasy Bottles are a real gift for refilling with this method..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
pearlhouse
You also forgot to mention that a small gauge needle is much better to use with the German Method
because it gives more time for the air vent to react to the increase in pressure inside the cartridge.

Slower injection of ink is easier to achieve when using 20 or 22 gauge needles and I would have to agree
that SquEasy Bottles are a real gift for refilling with this method..:)
I am going to disagree with brother The Hat. An 18 gauge needle requires less exertion to push the same amount of volume ink than a 20 gauge or smaller needle. Because of this, you can more easily use less force on the plunger and more slowly and controllable fashion inject ink. This is especially true if one has any musculoskeletal issues with the hands/fingers. It is also true for those with normally functioning hands in that the harder you push on the syringe, the more muscle bundles are recruited to contract, and the less fine motor control you may ultimately end up with.

I do agree with Uncle The Hat that squeeze bottle are the easiest solution overall when refilling by the Durchstich method.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
over 350 ink carts filled, german method, using squeeze bottles and 18g needles.

here's the thread w pics and video of squeeze bottles, thread now 3 years old....
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4450

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6MVUEgyjc

in agreement w Hat and Strat, squeeze bottles so much easier and quicker

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jimbo123 said:
over 350 ink carts filled, german method, using squeeze bottles and 18g needles.
:bow

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Im useing 20gauge needles that were blunt but I sharpend one edge by holding against the side of a grinding wheel. This sharpened them to a very sharp point just like the ones the medical industry uses. Are you guys that old that you are having muscle problems with your hands. Yikes Im 70 and still pushing strong. I find using my thumb to push gives me the least amount of effort. I agree though that slowly inject is the key method, allowin the displaced air to escape from the cartridge.