XP-830 cartridges

Walt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-830
My old printer died so I just bought an Epson XP-380. It was a cheaper printer, so I hoped it would be fairly simple. No way. A 395 page Users Guide. Ridiculous. I have always refilled the cartridges with my old HP but it looks like the Epson XP-380, 410 cartridges have done me in. I figured out where to add ink but I can't find a chip resetter. I see the cartridge has a clear plastic "window" at the bottom of the cartridge which is supposed to see ink levels too. I was thinking, if I take a yellow cartridge and paint the clear "window" with a yellow marker, can I get more use out of cartridge or better yet do you think I could add more ink, say at the half full stage and just keep going or will the chip still call the cartridge empty and stop my using it? If this doesn't work, is it worthwhile buying off brand cartridges from someplace like Amazon?? The big corporations are making everything cost more and doing anything, legal or not, to make more money.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You can get 3rd party cartridges for your printer or refill cartridges with ARC chips - automatic reset, and these are transparent to ease refilling. Refilling genuine Epson cartridges is not advisable , you would need a resetter and the black cases would make refill more difficult, you would need a scale.
I would not block the prism at the bottom, it is sensing the actual cartridge empty condition. You may get a drop more out of the cartridge but once the ink channels in the printhead are running dry you would need more cleaning cycles with the next one to get the air away.

Walt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-830
Thanks. That helps. Where do I look for ARC chips cartridges? Whatever happened to simple?

Walt

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-830
Ink Stained Fingers: Danke. Found some interesting items. I hope it works out. If Trump doesn't screw things up.
The Hat: Go raibh maith agat. Sorry, I didn't notice the world wide spread of this site. Constructive criticism always welcome.
Walt (with a Polish last name)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Go raibh maith agat
Had to look that up.

Speaking of words... leave it to the Irish to need 5 words - "más é do thoil é" - to say the one word "please", or, the Germans to use only one word - Danke - for "thank you". :D

Last edited: