WP4540 poor quality nozzle check

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am using refillable cartridges and all has been good; now, cyan, yellow and Magenta barely print out a nozzle check, Black is fine, did many cleaning cycles, does not help. How can I clean the head, is it a clogged head? Can I inject isopropyl through the needles that connect through cartridges?
Is there a service manual for this model to disable the head ?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks,

jeff

Photofan1986

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP540, IP3000 dead :(
You should first make sure you don't have an ink feed problem, as it very often is the culprit.
Are those Canon Oem carts refilled? If you're using aftermarket refillable tanks, beware that they are often low quality, and the sponge gets dry after a couple of refills.
You should try replacing the ink tanks, and if the problem persists, then you can look further.

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's an Epson printer with refillable DYEBASED cartridges. Cartridges have no sponges, see through.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My Epson WP4530 is similar to your Epson WP4540 except that it has only one feed tray but it uses pigment ink which can print on any photo paper and the cartridges last an incredibly long time. Why would you refill with dye inks?

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My Epson WP4530 is similar to your Epson WP4540 except that it has only one feed tray but it uses pigment ink which can print on any photo paper and the cartridges last an incredibly long time. Why would you refill with dye inks?

Meant Pigment, not dye based.

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update:

Followed a youtube video where solvent head cleaner on a gauze pad on top of the sponge might work.

it didn't, now with nozzle check only perfect black, not even a trace of cyan, magenta or yellow.

Wish I could just pull this head out and manually clean it. I'm under warranty with staples, but hope the reason this is happening is not because of third party inks as opposed to OEM Epson Inks.

Came across this refillable ink system using RESIN based pigmented ink, would this prevent clogs?

http://www.rihac.com.au/workforce-4530-4540-starter-refillable-cartridges-p-1355.html

Last edited:

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I find the Epson cartridges last sooo long it doesn't seem to me there is much motivation to do my own re-inking. (The cartridges that come with the printer are only half-full so don't go by how long they last.) If I were you, I'd try to get your printer replaced under warranty while Staples still stocks that model. Today, they had the WP-4530 on sale for $165 (online with no $50 recycle credit) so they may be getting to the end of production on these models. If you like the printer, you don't want to end up having Staples replace it with a different model. I've been told, though, that when you make a claim, they just reimburse your purchase price but you still may want to buy another identical one.

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just got a BRAND NEW WP4540 from Staples to replace adefective printhead clogged wp4540
Question, go straight to Refillables or use their inks first?

Can the newer printer(2014 vs 2012)which is newer too which can render my chipped 110ML refillables useless, if so what do I do?

Lastly, are there any preventative steps to make sure I can prevent my heads from clogging?
They gave me a new square deal warranty too for two years with on site repair. Not bad for a unit bought in November, 2012

Thanks,

Jeff