With "photo wipes" as the paper type, you can get deeper blacks!

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
pro-1 pro9500mark2pro9000mark2
Hello everyone, after finding another print head, pro9500 can work normally. Today, I found that if you use matte paper and set "photo rag" as the paper type, you can get deeper black. However, this setting does not allow users to define the size, and the top and bottom of the paper will be blank. I want to control the print size, but it is not allowed. Is there any way! (striped areas cannot be covered, this is A4 size)

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-pixma-pro-9500-mk-ii-a3--printer-review-16591(It's also mentioned here)
未标题-1.jpg

Attachments

• 打印.jpg
    打印.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for your reply, I use windows 10 system, the software is Photoshop, pro9500 Mark2, many times can not output satisfactory black, do not know what solution.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I want to control the print size,
many times can not output satisfactory black, do not know what solution.
When printing to different surfaces, the printer will use different black inks, the printer determines whether to use photo black or Matte black so regardless of which surface you plan to print upon, you can cheat in two ways. !

Firstly set the printer media to the surface type that gives you the best black output, or failing that, swap the chips on the two black cartridges for that particular print job, Matte black cart will have the photo black chip and the photo black cart will have the Matte black chip.

To print with Photoshop it automatically selects the best size for the image you wish to print on, and this is seen on the left print preview
Capture5556.JPG Note the paper size on the top ..

And in this preview you can see its blank on the top and the bottom of the photo print, its exactly the same as on your attachment.

Capture5557.JPGThis is the attatchmet you supplied above..

To change this you can either move the image up or down using this section box, Capture5555.JPG or scale the image to fit the width

And again use this box to rotate your image to fit a little better.

Capture5558.JPG

Finally you can also choose the print setting to alter the paper size to fit the image.Capture5559.JPG

P.S. use Google Translate to understand better..

jbhtjbht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you very much! The method you mentioned does work and I have been able to solve this problem now. I have another idea, if the pbk black is really a grayish looking black, can I just install two mbk cartridges and get a true black in thermal conditions? Also found another problem, mbk black is very easy to erase on glossy paper.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thank you very much! The method you mentioned does work and I have been able to solve this problem now. I have another idea, if the pbk black is really a grayish looking black, can I just install two mbk cartridges and get a true black in thermal conditions? Also found another problem, mbk black is very easy to erase on glossy paper.
What do you mean by "thermal conditions" ?

It is normal MBK doesn't adhere well on glossy paper, it is made for matte.

You can fill a PBK cartridge with MBK to print on "standard" matte photo paper.
This trick enables you to print borderless, but it doesn't give you the same settings as "fine art" (I suppose the printer lays more ink here).

The only way to reduce the 35mm (30mm on the PRO-10) top and bottom borders with Fine Art settings is Qimage Ultimate. It has a hack to reduce the borders to 5-10mm depending on the paper size.
Still cheaper than a PRO-300.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mbk black is very easy to erase on glossy paper.

Normally inkjet printers don’t use black ink to make black photo images, the printer uses some of the other colours to make up the image and then adds black in as a highlighter.

Now Pbk black is used on photo glossy paper for that exact purpose and was never intended or meant to be a true black, it doesn’t have to be because its mixed with the other colours to get a good looking black in photo images.

The Mbk is a different standalone black that is used on all matte papers to create solid black looking colours and is the perfect ink for those type of conditions, however if this black ink is used for non-photo images on glossy paper then it will rub off the surface even after 24 hours drying time.

Therefore it is not recommended to use Mbk black ink on glossy paper in most cases, because it tends to remain wet and wont dry properly, you can’t win when trying to print to this type of surface.. But it may well work on Velvet surface papers.

Publishers use Pbk in their CYMK for their magazines printing, its only Newsprint that uses Mbk ink.. Pbk ink give better transparency and when viewed with a loupe, its seen as a dark grey…