Wirless printer needed!

jetson22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need some help here. I am looking for a wireless printer to replace my old HP 7760. I have been researching the Canon Pixma mp980 and the HP c8180. It seems that most places I look there are a lot of negative feedback about these. Dose anyone have any advice. Thanks.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jetson22 said:
I need some help here. I am looking for a wireless printer to replace my old HP 7760. I have been researching the Canon Pixma mp980 and the HP c8180. It seems that most places I look there are a lot of negative feedback about these. Dose anyone have any advice. Thanks.
http://www.trymyphoto.com/

Canon just added free samples from their mp620/mp980 printers.
The big negative on the mp620 is the fact that they shunk the size of their cartridges pumping up the cost per page for text to 3.5-4c/page from 3-3.5c from their older models. Same with the color cartridges, they "were" 13ml, but they are now about 9ml with no improvement in efficiency. They also shunk the size of the head back to the ip5000/ip4200/mp530 size. A mp510/mp960 is likely a better value, but they are not wireless. I've not seen the output yet from these printers, but there is every reason to believe that they still do text well, and do photos very well.

The HP c8180 looks like it uses the #02 cartridges. It has a handy dandy closed loop purge system that recycles ink wasted in cleaning cycles. Unfortunately it doesn't include a pigmented tank for black. The heads are thermal and can't be replaced by the end user. Other printers that take the #96 cartridge and the new 564 cartridges is likely a better choice as a general purpose printer.
HP Photosmart C6380 I believe supports WIFI and 5 tanks. It has a handy dandy waste the ink system that looks suspiciously like Canon.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to add to IGEP's list... The L7780 also has wifi and used the HP88 printheads and tanks.

I've not actually used the wifi as all our units have been hardwired into the network so I'd recommend doing some further digging on those.

If you want to use a Canon other than the MP620 or MP980 then you'll need an external printserver which means you want a Silex 6700W or you could look for a wifi USB hub (if such a thing exists). Silex units are pretty good and work although again I've only ever used their 6200 or 6700's as hard wired LAN printservers rather than wifi so further research required.

Hope that helps.