Wireless Canon printers :: Any users?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've got a new school I'm taking on board soon and one of the requirements is for CIS kitted Inkjet printers. Now this in itself is not a major problem but there's a teensy tiny hurdle to overcome.

The location chosen for at least 3 of the printers is out in a corridor where there is absolutely no chance of a wired network port being installed without some serious capital outlay (ie: contractors have to be approved and the ones who are obviously drink champagne for lunch!).

So, I'm looking for possible wireless enabled printers to handle the job.

I'm aware of the HPL7000 and K5400 series of printer but in truth I've had some many problems with printhead reliability that I've dropped support for these models until HP sort out their quality control issues... Epsons are ok but ink costs and their recent legal action in the USA leads me to believe that it's time to drop them from the list too... So, that leave Canon and the printers with built in Wireless capability are:

- PIXMA MP800R
- PIXMA MP600R
- PIXMA iP5200R

.. The other option is to go the Silex/Procom external wireless server route and given that the wired 6200U print-servers I've been using worked ok it's a realistic option.

What I really lack is any kind of idea of functionality, reliability and speed for any of the wireless solutions because spending 100+ on a wireless printserver to discover performance issues make it more sensible to go with getting wired ports put in would be bad.

Any takers, insight, hecklers, santa contacts? ;)

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The C-6700WG is a newer silex print server and it apparently was a joint effort by silex and canon. It looks promising however anytime you go wireless problems can come up and your area and possible interference will be hard to predict.