Windows 10 Free Update Offer

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I was wondering what has come over MS to offer a free update to Win 10. Anyone know?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think that's a kind of googelization effect, Google's business does not sell op systems but creates an environment to do business within - apps, private user data, ads etc, and MS is following that business model to some degree.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Four approaches possible if you are offered the free update.

1) Don't do it.

2) Do it.

3) Perform a complete back up before doing the actual update in case you want to go back.

4) You have a year to do the free update. Wait to see what others experience and see what the new OS looks like before deciding.

I spent the time to customize Win 8.x, just as I have every other new OS, and like it. I'll allow the push to my SSD that runs the OS and then wait to see all the hidden gems/skeletons the early adopters find before deciding, then make a complete back up on my back up second SSD that can be swapped over in a couple minutes before installing Win 10.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think options 3 and 4 are good advice. I have two computers that qualify for the upgrade, my main computer that runs Win 8.1 64 bit and a laptop running Windows 7 32 bit. I have reserved the downloads which will be available around Aug 1st. I think I will try the upgrade with the laptop, as no important data are stored on that computer. I might not upgrade my main computer immediately, I will wait for reports before considering the upgrade.

I wonder if doing the upgrade turns the key for your previous OS into a Win 10 key, so it can not be used for a reinstall of your previous OS if you don't like Win 10?

I wonder if old but good Canon printers will work with Win 10?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have one of my computers running on Win 8.1 and another one on Win 7 both 64 bit O/S, I had some trouble getting all my printers to work with Win 8.1, using mostly the drivers from my O/S Vista, as you might expect.

But when I revamped my other computer and reinstalled Win 7 once again I had to fight a war to get my printers working again, I still don’t know why the exact same drivers wouldn’t work, they did eventually.

So be careful with all of your printers new and old, @stratman has the right idea, Backup your sys first..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think I will try the upgrade with the laptop, as no important data are stored on that computer.
Proprietary applications from vendors, like the bloatware Dell places on computers, may not transfer over into Windows 10. There is an app checker tool in the "Get Windows 10" app found in your system tray lower right corner.

See the FAQ header "Will my devices and apps work with Windows 10?" for more info at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq.

How to upgrade: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Specifications on the upgrade including changes and processes involved at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Are you giving your identity away with that post? I think you may be. Thanks for all the information on W10, that resolves many of the questions.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What I reckon @PeterBJ was trying to say was, if you upgrade to Win 10 and later then want to reinstall Win7/Win 8 again fresh, you can’t because your key will be useless, it can’t be reused.. :(

@Smudger any news /update on your Pro 1.. :)