Windex Sponge Cleaning for Printers?

shel6270

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just read a thread about cleaning a printer with windex. What is the process? I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 .. I receive several streaks where the feeder bars push the paper through. If I use the Windex method, will this solve this problem? Do I take anything apart or just drop the windex in? Not mechanically inclined so any help would be great! I have never heard about using Windex what do I do? Is that the sponge that goes along side the feeder bars?

Thanks,
Shelly

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your Epson printer, but it sounds like you might want to try a technique described by fotofreek in post #5 this thread.
I read of a technique where you take a piece of good quality watercolor paper, dampen it with windex, and print a few blank files to run it through the paper transport area. Do not make the mistake I did which was to use a different kind of paper that had less wet strength. In addition, be sure to just dampen it and not get it really wet. It tore while going through the printer and screwed up the paper transport. Luckily, it was on an Epson printer I was about to replace with a Canon i960 (with easily refillable good quality bulk inks) per Neil Slade's advice.
I wonder if Epson Double Sided Matte Paper would be strong enough?

But, sounds like it would be best to use actual water color paper as stated and avoid messing up the printer.

Lilla

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Be really careful with cleaning of Epsonpaper feed wheels. Don't saturate the paper so much that it can tear or come apart in the printer. Good quality watercolor paper is designed to have wet strength up to a point. I did try this technique with an Epson printer but used what I thought were pretty strong paper towels. They snagged on a suport for one of the wheels and pulled the roller support apart. Not easy to put back in place!