Will ip4200 work on Windows 10?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am needing to purchase a new PC, as mine is outdated and on it's last legs.

Canon says it no longer supports the ip4200. They are such terrific, refillable printers that I really want to continue using them.

Will my ip4200 printers work with Windows 10? Are drivers available somewhere? If yes, how do I accomplish this (I'm very non-savvy with computers).

Thanks!! Diane

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no reason why it won’t work under Win 10, after all which O/S are you using right now.

I have a i865 and iP4500 working with Win 8.1, ok it did take a bit of persuading for the O/S to install working drivers, but it got there, and if you need help when the time comes you’ll find plenty of helping hand here...:)

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am using Windows 7 64 bit Home version and the ip4200 works perfectly. But I read on Canon's website that they no longer support it. But there was a mention of using Windows 8 drivers, but it also said that there may be "some" loss of functions.

Thanks! Diane

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From Canon:

"... the Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the new Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon."
If reports on this forum are accurate, your printer should function properly in Windows 10. I think Canon was preparing customers for the possibility of less than full operation in the new and as of then unknown operating environment.

The only functional difference I recall on this forum is that due to the lack of Windows 10 drivers for older printers, the user may need to let Windows install the printer via Plug and Play - plug printer in, turn on power and let Windows search for and install its own drivers for the printer instead of the customary user installation of the drivers on their hard drive. Some have suggested installing the drivers using Compatibility Mode found in the Properties of the driver file when you right click on that file. See this link and note directions starting at #11 under the heading 2. Drivers For Inkjets.

Interestingly, my older MP830, which does not have Windows 10 driver files, installed as per normal without any of the workarounds mentioned above. I recommend using the most current version of the driver found on Canon's web site since there was one update since I had installed my printer originally.

The bottom line... your printer should work fine with Windows 10. You may need to install it using one of the workarounds mentioned above but they are simple to do, and, the forum is available to you if you hit a snag in the installation. You will not ruin anything as you can always delete/uninstall and start over again! If needed, just ask on the forum and someone will be by shortly to help. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have both a laptop running Windows 10 32 bit and a Canon iP4200. As can be seen the iP4200 is installed under W10 and it is fully functional.

W10 iP4200.jpg

The install was plug and play, it couldn't be easier: Just connect the printer via USB and wait till the install finishes. My stationary computer is running W8.1 64 bit and install of the iP4200 on that computer was also plug and play and the printer is also fully functional on that computer.

If the plug and play install doesn't work properly, then delete the printer and restart the computer. Instead download and install the newest available driver for instance for Windows Vista and run the install file in compatibility mode for the OS the install file is intended for. When downloading a driver observe if you need a 32 or 64 bit version.

The printer add on module on the same page is needed if you have modified your printer to print CDs. In case you are using the CDLP CD print program for CD print then save a copy of the setup file if you still have it. It is no longer offered by Canon but might still be found on the web. Beware of unknown download sites. You might get a little something extra in the download. I have the setup file for the CDLP program, but it is 10 MB. The CDLP program is replaced by Canon Easy Photo Print. This program also has CD print capability but is no good in my opinion. Here is proof that CDLP also runs under W10:

W10 CDLP.jpg

I have tried installing other old Canon printers under W10, for instance i965 and iP4000. They were fully functional. I have also installed a couple of all -in-ones using plug and play. The printer part of the machines worked OK, but the scanner part didn't. Deleting the printers and reinstalling them using the downloaded drivers in compatibility mode made the printers fully functional. When installing a downloaded driver it is important that the printer is not connected to the computer, but is first connected and turned on when the install program asks for it. This is the same procedure as when installing the printer from the install disk.

All the printers I have installed under W10 have worked 100% OK, even if Canon says they might not work. I think it is a standard disclaimer to avoid problems with dissatisfied owners.

I also have a desktop computer running W8.1 64 bit. The same install procedures work for that computer too.

Last edited: