Will ink stain an acrylic sink

drb_52

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So I don't get killed for ruining a new bathroom sink, does anybody know if printer inks will stain an acrylic sink. I am using the Hobbicolors ink for an I9900 printer (BCI tanks). Thanks.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My old bathroom washbasin was green plastic and it didn't seem to suffer from being used to swill out syringes and stuff, but I never let the ink hang around much. The heavy duty stuff (like cleaning an epson waste ink pad) was done in a stainless kitchen sink)

New washbasin is white enamel / stone / porcelain / rock stuff and isn't harmed either, but it freaks me out more.

You could try applying a little ink to somewhere it won't show just to check. Parents / partners tend to get a little unreasonable with multicoloured modifications to household items.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Just use a cleaner like this:

Cif_250_3.jpg

Will clean without damaging your sink.

drb_52

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The fellow providing the sink let me have a sample piece to test. The sample has a matte finish on half and a satin finish on the other half. I put a spot of ink on both halfs and let it set for 15 seconds. The satin finish wiped clean with a kleenex while the matte finish looks to be permanently stained. Luckily, we ordered the satin finish.

Thanks again.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The matt finish has a "rough" finish on a microscopic scale and provides a "key" for the ink to stick to or hide inside.

Bleach might work, depending on the colour of the washbasin. In my experience, black ink turns a pale yellow (wee coloured) when bleached and the other colours are likely to do the same. If you have a white sink, the effect would not appear pretty.

Hopefully the satin finish will survive any ink splashes. Good luck, drb_52

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I use steel sink, no problems.

drb_52

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Froggy. I intend to use the kitchen sink (enameled steel) but I'll probably forget after awhile and rinse a syringe or two before I realize I've put the ink in the wrong sink. At least I know now that it won't be instantly ruined.

Avalanche, after leaving the ink spot on the matte finish overnight and all day today, this evening I used some undiluted bleach on it. It came right off, without a trace. The bleach did turn the spot yellow, but a little rub with my finger removed the yellow spot. Now I know what to use if it doesnt just wipe off the new sink. Thanks.