Wikipedia article?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_refill_kit

Anyone have a Wikipedia account and wish to add anything or clarify anything? I would at the minimum note that there are many people with hundreds of successful refills, who claim that the original manufacturer's cartridges can be refilled almost indefinitely. I would also mention that there are Web sites such as this one (there's room for a link at the bottom) that specialize in providing information on reliable refilling. Oh, and the article also needs a mention of CIS systems, with a cross-reference to this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anyone on this forum will tell you that this is the best and most truthful site on the web
for inkjet related refill information second to none and that includes Wikipedia.. :)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ThrillaMozzilla,

ANYONE, including YOU, can get a free, almost unlimited Wiki account. There is a definite learning curve.

That is, obviously, a double edged sword. Do you consider yourself a refilling expert? I certainly am not. And if you make a change, someone with a different experience and opinion can change it 5 minutes later.

"If not me, then who?" (many sources, but including M.L. King, jr)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
No, I have no intention of doing it myself, although I have have fairly good luck with editing wikis.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite.

Overall, I thought the Wiki article was reasonably well written, and mostly correct. For 90+% of the people who try refilling, I would guess it is a discouraging mess. "Never again". It's not for the faint of heart who aren't willing to pay their dues and tackle a significant learning curve.

The only mis-information I noticed was exaggerating the expense of buying retail, so any imbalance was in favor of refilling, imo.
> versus the $2530 they would pay at the store for a new one

Better would be "$12 to $30 USD they would pay at the store."

I suppose that would be for HP carts with integrated heads. I can get a full set of eight CLI-8 Canon oem carts for my 9000-2 for about $90 from Amazon, including shipping. That is more like ~$11 to $12 USD per cart. Even at OfficeMax, a brand new CLI-8 cart ... quantity One ... is ~$15 USD (plus tax of course).

Costco and Sam's have "bundles" of oem carts ... set of 5 iirc .. .for ~$55 ... with tax about the same as Amazon online if you have a membership.

Obviously, Wiki is far, far more visible than NS.

The modification I'd be inclined to see made to the Wiki article would be something like:

An experienced "Inkjet Master" who buys ink in bulk rather than refill kits can typically refill a cartridge that doesn't have an integrated print-head for about $0.50 USD, or less. Best case, the cost of ink becomes trivial for a letter size 8.5x11" print. However, that is after an initial investment in ink and supplies of about $50 to $100+ USD, and perhaps several hours of messy trial and error. There is definitely a learning curve.

Ok ... "Mission Accomplished". Help yourself to improve / revise. Knock yourself out ;)